Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TF writer SIMON FURMAN is coming to Dublin.

• 05-06-2007 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I have this news from a reliable source. There is going to be a comic convention in the Central Hotel in Exchequer St. on Saturday the 29th of September. There will be a number of comic writers and artists attending , but one name in particular is going to attract a lot of us , the Transformers fans! Simon Furman has been like the "Alpha Trion" of the Transformers universe for over 20 years now, and here is our chance to say "hello" , and "thank you" for giving us a universe beyond a toy line.

Who is Simon Furman, and what has he done?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Furman

I havn't found out if Nick Roche is one of the attendees yet.

This is a different comic convention to the one that the 3rd place is organising for the 17th/ 18th of November in the Tara Towers Hotel on the Merrion Rd. The special guest for that one is Jim Lee. Whats his connection to Transformers? One of his first covers was for issue 67 of the Marvel U.S. comic, a cover that showed Galvatron triumphant!

I'll post here if I find out more details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cool..

And I love the Central Hotel as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

We should ask him to push Hasbro to make Titaniums of the non-Toy characters he wrote for(Impactor, Death's Head, Circuit breaker maybe as a Marvel Legend), as well as the ones he wrote for that never had very good toys(Bludgeon, Nightbeat).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think Marvel (and not Hasbro) own the rights for Impactor, Circuit Breaker and Deaths Head (in fact they reused him in a comic recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

your right about circuit breaker and deaths heads but thats because they "appeared" in a marvel book outside of TF contunity before debuting on the book (circuit breaker in secret wars and DH in an one page add) so they dont fall under hasbro control

but as far as i know impactor only appeared in TF so he should be owned by hasbro. nothing to stop simon bringing him back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

There is going to be a comic convention in the Central Hotel in Exchequer St. on Saturday the 29th of September. There will be a number of comic writers and artists attending , but one name in particular is going to attract a lot of us , the Transformers fans! Simon Furman has been like the "Alpha Trion" of the Transformers universe for over 20 years now, and here is our chance to say "hello" , and "thank you" for giving us a universe beyond a toy line.

Simon Furman already mentioned this appearance in his blog:
    http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/

I've never met the Furminator before, but I'll certainly be there to shake his hand for his longstanding efforts in creating an interesting cast of metallic shapechanging aliens over the past twenty-odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

Ive met simon once. An extremely nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Yeah, I'll definitely have to go to that one....
    Hmmm.. it seems that a lot of the Irish TF fans will be in the same place at the same time... good chance for a meet-up maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ger_Hankey wrote:
    good chance for a meet-up maybe?

if everyone's over the age of 18 i'd say a sessiún would be a good idea tbh :)

if everyone's over the age of 18 i'd say a sessiún would be a good idea tbh :)

You mean there are younger people who are transformers fans??? Surely not!! Do they not know these things are not aimed at them at all!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Do you have any more details on the convention? Website address? Entrance price?

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote:
    Do you have any more details on the convention? Website address? Entrance price?

Good question. I haven't been able to find anything myself. Is there actually a convention or are we just going to stalk Simon Furman while he is on a weekend shopping trip to our fair city??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Robert Curley

Just to set the record straight Simon Furman is indeed coming to Dublin. He is one of many guests at this years Sub-Con including Steve Niles, 30 Days of Night Writer/Creator - Pia Guerra, Y The Last Man artist - Bryan Talbot, artist creator extraordinaire - Ian Boothby, Simpsons writer - Leah Moore and John Reppion, Albion - Stephen Mooney, Angel cover artist as well as CSI - Stephen Thompson, Buckaroo Banzai - Declan Shalvey, Freak Show - Will Sliney, Atomic Rocket Group 66.

The con is being held on Saturday September 29th in the Central hotel. The entire first floor has been booked with three dealers rooms and an extra room for talks, one of which will be by Mr Furman! There is also the lovely Library bar in the center of all of this just in case you need a quick drink! The cover price is 10 Euro and the fun starts at 10am and goes on till 5 with drinks afterward for anyone who wants to hang around.

Hope that clears things up a bit and hope to see you there. For more info check out http://www.myspace.com/subcondublin or call/pop in to Sub-City on 6771902 to reserve your tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll definitely try and make it along anyway.

Galvasean wrote:
    I think Marvel (and not Hasbro) own the rights for Impactor, Circuit Breaker and Deaths Head (in fact they reused him in a comic recently)

But er, Hasbro make Marvel Toys so that piece of information is completely irrelevant. They'd probably be Marvel Legends anyway(Circuit Breaker and Death's Head).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rozie wrote:
    But er, Hasbro make Marvel Toys so that piece of information is completely irrelevant. They'd probably be Marvel Legends anyway(Circuit Breaker and Death's Head).
    I was not aware of this. Now I want my G2 Jhiaxus toy more than ever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

This should be a good one alright, it will be good to get some information from him and maybe ask him about any cartoon plans for the future as regards movie tie ins

Galvasean wrote:
    I was not aware of this. Now I want my G2 Jhiaxus toy more than ever! :D

Really? Did you see his alt. mode in the comics? It was like a bus with wings!!

Just to let every one know that Simon will be doing a talk at the con entitled "Last night a Robot saved my life" (sorry, my title not his!) as well as signing. We also plan on having a session in the bar after the con so everybody is welcome to come along to that.

Just to let every one know that Simon will be doing a talk at the con entitled "Last night a Robot saved my life" (sorry, my title not his!) as well as signing. We also plan on having a session in the bar after the con so everybody is welcome to come along to that.

Nice! Any chance of a timetable for when the talk is due to happen? Much as I'd love to spend eight hours at a con and then boozing it up after, I don't think the missus would approve:(

BTW, are y'all still interested in trying to organise an Irish TF Fan club? Is a meet-up here to discuss it still on the cards?

Simon will be around all day signing and talking on a one to one basis with people and the talk will be from 12-1. Everyone will be given a con program with the list of talk times and where to find each guest etc.
    Ger_Hankey wrote:
    Nice! Any chance of a timetable for when the talk is due to happen? Much as I'd love to spend eight hours at a con and then boozing it up after, I don't think the missus would approve:(

BTW, are y'all still interested in trying to organise an Irish TF Fan club? Is a meet-up here to discuss it still on the cards?

• Advertisement

Great! Thanks for that!!

Sure!

Simon will be signing and talking to people on a one to one basis all day at the con. His specific talk will be from 1-2 and the details for this and all other events will be in the con program given out on the day. Hope this helps!

Rob
    Ger_Hankey wrote:

Folks sorry for the misunderstanding but I got the time of the talk wrong the first time so hence the two post on the same thing:eek: The talk is correct on the second post 1-2.

Cheers

Robs
    Sure!

Simon will be signing and talking to people on a one to one basis all day at the con. His specific talk will be from 1-2 and the details for this and all other events will be in the con program given out on the day. Hope this helps!

Rob

Have stared a thread for this but thought I would put it in here also. Nick Roche will be joining Simon Furman at Sub-Con this year, both for a talk and signing/sketching .

Rob.

Just to say thanks to everyone who turned up yesterday at the con. It was a great success and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Simon Furman said he had a ball and has offered to come over again next year. I got to meet Nick Roche which was great, he's a lovely guy and were hoping to do some work together on one of my own books, so I'm very excited about that!

Again thanks for all the support, it's very much appreciated.

See you all next year!

Just to say thanks to everyone who turned up yesterday at the con. It was a great success and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Simon Furman said he had a ball and has offered to come over again next year. I got to meet Nick Roche which was great, he's a lovely guy and were hoping to do some work together on one of my own books, so I'm very excited about that!

Again thanks for all the support, it's very much appreciated.

See you all next year!

I didn't see Nick Roche when I was there :( Not sure what I'd ask him anyway but it would have been good since he's one of the only Irish guys in comics.

Did Simon mention his shiny new Death's Head figure :)

I have to say, I thought the con was a great sucess. Thanks for all your hard work putting it on!
    Simons TF talk was pretty good, he mostly talked about what was upcoming with IDW for the next year or so. He answered lots of questions on various different subjects & was very friendly. I got a signed script for one of the comics, and he also signed a copy of Stormbringer for me and the pic I got printed on the Titan comic!! I picked up a movie Jazz in G1 colours (Modelmaina were doing a 3 for 2 special on TFs at the con & had a good selection). Met Rozie (and Deaths Head!) very briefly just as I was leaving.

Advertisement