Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] New Laptop. How to use it correctly?

Options
  • 05-06-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’ve just bought a new laptop and want to make sure I start using from day one in a manner that will maximise it’s life.

I find the problem with instruction manuals is that they are always cluttered with “Don’t do’s” aimed at stupid people in order to cover the manufacturers liability in the event of a product liability claim. (eg “Don’t use hairdryer in the shower!”)

Can anyone with knowledge in the area point out just the important things to do, and I’ll then refer to what the instruction manual says on each point.

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Hardware:
    Don't drop it
    Don't let it get wet
    Don't let it get too hot
    Battery: Where possible, let it discharge fully before recharging. When recharging, recharge fully. If you're going to be using the laptop for a while connected to mains, take out the battery

Software wise:
    Antivirus - AVG
    Keep it up to date with Windows Update
    Install Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy
    Be careful in general. Don't open obviously dodgy email attachments, don't go on pr0n websites, and so on...

Is that the kinda thing you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'd add that if you will be travelling around with it, get a proper bag, don't skimp on the price of the bag, make sure it's a decent one with hard corners and plenty of protective padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Do not use on a soft surface. REDUCES air circulation to nothing and it will run hot.

Buy one of these http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50330024/Notebook_Cooler_Pad.jpg I did and well worth it.

Keep ALL CDs related to your laptop in a SAFE place. not too safe that you will forget where lol

Maybe a screen protector. basically a sheet of thin plastic which sits over the screen

Be careful of the keys. pain in the arse if you break the lil fiddly bits associated with the plastic pad itself

Do regular file backups. laptop hard drives have to have a higher failure rate

Careful when plugging in/out devices in ANY socket. be gentle. also, gentle when hinging the screen.

As snappie said DO NOT, and i repeat, DO NOT get it wet. water may not be too bad, but beer, coke etc may be fatal. IF it happens, DO NOT, DO NOT attempt to switch on. Leave it in for repair immediately so it can be cleaned.

Good luck with your new laptop

Advertisement