Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: how useful?

Options
  • 04-06-2007 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me out. Is a GPS system useful? Along with a few friends I'm (slowly!) getting back into some hillwalking . I've used OSI maps before along with a compass but wondered how detailed the maps on a GPS unit are. I'm most familiar with Wicklow and was wondering what would I see on the screen of a GPS system such as a Garmin GPSMAP 60cx if I was hiking Lugnaquillia. Does it show a map complete with contours and peak details? Do I have to purchase a topographical map of Ireland or are there decent maps preinstalled?
    Any help appreciated,
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Never used a GPS - never needed to, to be honest. Nothing really wrong with a good old fashioned compass and OSI map. The OSI has recently released mapping software that lets you print out maps, satellite views and other features that might be useful. But i've not tried that myself either to be honest - unless the weather is really bad I could not see why you should spend a couple of 100 euros on a GPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Dogmatix,

That's a really narrowed view to have regarding the value of a GPS. The ability to use a map and compass effectively in all conditions should be one of the strongest skills any of us have if we venture off the beaten track. That goes without saying....Even if it's said by all and sundry here (me included), every time there's mention of a GPS.

I've been stuck out in places like Gravale and War Hill on my way down off Mulla's a couple of times. While I've know the general direction I was headed, and could have followed a blind bearing from my compass, the ability to use my very basic Magellan to check my guess-timated co-ordinates against the map made me a lot more confortable about going ahead, in dreadfully poor visibility. Even on an overcast day up there, with nothing but bog, gorse and coll under foot and ahead of you, it's nice to be able to see you are where you think you are.....'Featureless' expanse, unfamiliar territory, nightfall and poor visibility in general are all things that push me to pack the GPS every time I go off the track....

Okay, in fairness Dogmatix, I know the OP has asked about mapping GPS's, but the general 'they stink' attitude needs to be addressed. OP, if you want a GPS for any of the reasons I've mentioned above, go with the most basic/cheapest one you can find. A Garmin eTrex or similar, plus a set of detailed 1:50k maps for the areas you walk will cost you less than a mapping GPS, and will not allow you become lazy and lost because of an over dependance on it. I'll echo Dogmatix' sentiment in a sense by warning you off using a mapping GPS for the great outdoors. Great in a car. Crap on the hillside.

Just my thoughts....

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lilbandit

Thanks for your replies lads, is the general consensus that a mapping GPS (such as the Garmin GPSmap 60CX) is useless on a hillwalk beyond providing co-ordinates to check against a good old fashioned map? I'm more curious than anything after seeing GPS in action in a car. Are there any accurate gps maps of Ireland available that show peaks and contours etc? For the moment I can't see myself hiking anywhere beyond these shores (loads of places still on my list!) so is there any point in a mapping GPS such as the one above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

S’funny Gil Dub – looks like someone “gentrified” your response. Could have sworn it said “naïve” instead of narrowed when I read it yesterday. But no offense was taken. But GPS I feel it is a bit of overkill for an activity that should be about getting away from all the hi-tech. For hi-tech I only ever take my digital camera with me – and a car if I need to get where I’m going to start from. I feel the same way about running – I will pay attention to the right running shoes and spend whatever it takes to get the right shoe but other then that it’s a t-shirt and shorts for the running.

But I do accept that from a safety aspect it is probably better to have GPS then not to have it. And I would have appreciated it I suppose in the Sally Gap area last Monday in the rain and mist. But not so much that I would now go out and buy one – not yet.

But whatever people do, they should always have a decent/reliable compass and map with them and know how to use them. Or better yet the healy 1:30000 map is even better then the OSI 1:50000 for central wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I bring along my GPS receiver for hikes, but it's more for fun, rather than practical use. I use it to create track logs of where we have been, so that when I take photos I can geo-tag my photos and create maps like this one of the WicklowWay stages 3 and 4, altitude profiles, but also during the hike, it'll provide you with interesting data, like how far you've walked, distances to your destination, altitude (approximate), and also provide you with the names and directions of neighbouring peaks (virtual tour guide).

There's no replacement for paper (or even better, plastic) maps, but my GPS receiver is a welcome addition to my back to nature hikes, even if it does contain microprocessors. ;) I'm sure that as the gentry strolled the hills of Wicklow in the 1800s they didn't foresee the need for new-fangled map type layouts on paper.. How did the guys who created the original maps know where they were going anyway? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

I've a garmin etrex legend. One of the cheaper hand held receivers that I got off ebay. (I had an old GPS12 before that). You can purchase maps to give you all roads in Ireland with this, even some track roads are marked. There is no countour map of the country though. I've a separate unit in the car which is would be completely useless on a mountain!

I usually have mine with me for 2 reasons:
    1. As well as the lat/long readout most units will be able to give you the OSI coordinates, so say if its foggy and taking bearings is hard then you have a quick reliable position.
    2. Geocahing. There are a good few caches around the mountains and it always makes a nice addition to a hike. http://www.geocachingireland.com/

With most GPS units you can download your track and then upload it into google earth (might require the paid for version..). Novelty of that wore off quickly for me.
    Are there any accurate gps maps of Ireland available that show peaks and contours etc?
    http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm and http://mountainviews.ie/features/gps/CreateMap/Introduction.html might be worth a look for you.
    I haven't heard any concrete plans to have official OSI contour maps availble on GPS devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

albertw wrote:
    I haven't heard any concrete plans to have official OSI contour maps availble on GPS devices.
    That'd be the OSI Trailmaster product, available for quite some time. Very expensive though and only covers certain areas.
    3dmaps.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lilbandit

Been a few days since I got a chance to check back here, thanks for all the information. Somebody suggested a basic GPS rather than a mapping model. Think I'll get a simple model that can provide co-ordinates and act as a backup to my map and compass if I go astray! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭eirman

Get a basic eTrex with a PC Lead, then buy gps utility from gpsu.co.uk
    (The free version will get you started)

> Scan your map into your computer
    > Import the scan into the gpsu program
    > Calibrate the map aginst the Irish Grid
    > Mark out waypoints to make up a hiking route
    > Upload your waypoints/route to your eTrex
    > Printout your map with waypoints from gpsu
    > Do your hike - Your eTrex will lead you from waypoint to waypoint
    > Download your tracklog and any points of interest you may have marked into gpsu.

Always bring your original map and a good compass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

My Garmin eTrex has saved my bacon a few times when I was hiking in England. Orienteering with an OS map is fine as long as you have a reference point. On a new trail in a new place that can me very difficult, with the Garmin in OS coordinates all you need to do is get the coordinates and place yourself back on the map so you can find yourself an exit route.

Also came in handy in the Lake District on foggy days. Fortunately it wan't too foggy as to not be able to get a signal.

Not having one if you plan on walking unfamiliar territory is plain silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 frank 54449

I kind of agree with Lilbandit,
    I don't have a GPS, have to say that if I did have one I 'd probably get lost a lot more from relying on the garmin rather than keeping my own senses at a heightened state of awareness. Map and compass and the ability to use it properly, can't beat it:D
    By all means if you are bringing a group out on the hills, keep one in the bottom of the rucksack as a back-up. Along with a spare set of batteries.
    Mark one eyeball, map, compass and a load of cop on will get you 99% of the way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Trailmaster is pretty good on the whole, although has a few querks. Use it with Pocket PC, Waterproof case, Bluetooth GPS. Not as a replacement for map/compass/route plan/experience though, but great for a backup and for training and a fast position checks.
    http://www.osi.ie/trailmaster/index.asp

Nokis Sports tracker is also great for keeping a log of sporting activities, including hikes. Allows you to output tracks to Google Earth routes or you can log them online where you can also add photos, notes and compare against previous routes:
    http://sportstracker.nokia.com/

Advertisement