Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment reference problem

Options
  • 03-06-2007 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I'm supposed to be moving into a new apartment in Cork city next week. The rent is going to be paid through a letting agency and they're looking for a written reference from my landlady and a reference from my employer. Problem is I got let go from work last friday. When I was being shown around the place by the person who was moving out of the room I was asked where I wroked. I just said..."um yeah, I work in [the place where I used to work]".

Now I had a simular dilemma last year in Dublin. I arranged the place in my last few weeks of college and I didn't have a job secured at the time, the letting agency asked that my parents sign as guaranteers of rent.

Should I adopt the same approach this time or will some agencies have a problem with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

Tell them the truth and if they have a problem then **** em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

**** em? Where would that leave me!?

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

J.S. Pill wrote:
    Now I had a simular dilemma last year in Dublin. I arranged the place in my last few weeks of college and I didn't have a job secured at the time, the letting agency asked that my parents sign as guaranteers of rent.

Should I adopt the same approach this time or will some agencies have a problem with this?

if you were on good terms with your previous employer, a friendly supervisor ask them to do up a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Give the name of one of your mates in your last place as your boss. Write a reference under his name and give him the heads up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Told them tyhe truth about my situation - got rejected

The moral of the story:Never be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starky

J.S. Pill wrote:
    Told them tyhe truth about my situation - got rejected

The moral of the story:Never be honest

I am always honest, don’t know why gets you no where in this country, as your situation clearly illustrates. Brown envelopes is the way you make sure you don’t get rejected, if you have enough money to put in them :D Well it’s the landlords loss, you obviously would have been a good honest tenant.

Advertisement