Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Squad Discussion

Options
  • 03-06-2007 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, the last real opportunities to lay down a marker for inclusion are over.

Key Dates:
    June 15 - Submit 50 man list to be involved in RWC preparations
    August 7 - Submit 30 man squad for RWC
    August 11 - Warmup v Scotland
    August 24 - Warmup Ireland V Italy

My RWC 30 Man Squad

Props (4)
    John Hayes
    Marcus Horan
    Simon Best
    Bryan Young

Hookers (2)
    Rory Best
    Jerry Flannery

Locks (4)
    Paul O'Connell
    Donacha O'Callaghan
    Malcolm O'Kelly
    Trevor Hogan

Back Row (6)
    Neil Best
    Simon Easterby
    Denis Leamy
    Jamie Heaslip
    David Wallace
    Stephen Ferris

Scrum Halves (2)
    Peter Stringer
    Eoin Reddan

Fly Halves (2)
    Ronan O'Gara
    David Humphreys

Centres(4)
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Gordon D'Arcy
    Andrew Trimble
    Paddy Wallace

Wings (4)
    Shane Horgan
    Brian Carney
    Dennis Hickie
    Luke Fitzpatrick

Fullbacks (2)
    Girvan Dempsey
    Robert Kearney

So there we go, that's what I'd choose, I'm not sure if you have to include 3 hookers or not.

Key choices were Humph at FH, and Paddy Wallace as cover for IC, while including the likes of Kearney, and Luke Fitz. The backs have enough interchange to allow many different combos.

Neither Cullen or Mick O'D showed enough to suggest a certain inclusion, so I've put in Trevor Hogan.

Notable players not making it would be Geordan Murphy, he just hasn't been good enough and last night shown he is incapable of doing even simple things at this level.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

David Humphreys? not Ian?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We need David ! judging from the previous few games, and the fact that Wallace has played more as a 12 all season.

If the rumours are true, If Eddie requires David, he'll come down and play some rugby in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Jennings has got to be assessed on an impressive season a bit more than one game?
    Quinlan surlely in there though. Who ever is most versatile of these 3 may get the nod. Probably Quinlan, more biased Irish based game time, plus had a good game. I dont see 3 no 8s going, is Ferris useful in other backrow positionds? May come down to this. Leamy and Ferris/Heaslip

Locks look OK only guess would be Cullen/Hogan.

Props: agred

Hookers: there is a lot of talk of 3 berths, is this really necesary? 2 agreed.

Bossll go. You (EOS) dont persist on a guy for a year and drop him in 1 game.

Fly halves to FBs. I would have RK in for both wing and FB and leave LF/Bowe at home, frees up one extra place. Allowing DH @ OH cover Duffy in centre and Wallace as both! Dont forget Trimble can play wing.

I some how dont see Murphy beinf left at home, could Eddie really cut him, he prob deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ferris has the versatility, with Best/Easterby as Blindsides, and Heaslip/Leamy as 8's, essentially it's just a backup openside.

Double guessing Eddie, he might drop Heaslip and take Ferris, freeing up another spot which might go to a 3rd Hooker.

Reddan is in form, he has the benefit of quick to the ruck, good passsing, and the ability to break, so he has the plus points of both Stringer and Boss. I'd take Reddan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Italy and Scotland are meant to be games to allow the final 30 play, coming as they do after the deadlines. But we have unresolved issues.

Quinlan will go. As I think will Gavin Duffy. Rob Kearney probably blew it last night. Boss may go too.

Backs (definite) - 10: Darcy, Dempsey, Hickie, Horgan, BOD, ROG, Reddan, Stringer, Trimble, Wallace.

Probably 3 places for grabs - Boss, Duffy, Carney (Despite the effort the last try last night)

Forwards (definite) - 15 : Best x3, Easterby, Ferris, Flannery, Hayes, Heaslip, HOran, Leamy, Donnacha, POC, Mal, Quinlan, Wallace,

Probables - Buckley, and Young.

Baby Humph will be the medium term replacement for ROG. Shame he has not got more game time to prove this ahead of the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

dave, honestly, is it Munster bias that has you picking MOD? He's dire. And that's leaving out all the cursing I'd like to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

zabbo wrote:
    Luke Fitzpatrick

You mean Fitzgerald,not a hope id bring him in my 30 man squad. Its a RWC,not some training ground. Id bring Geordan Murphy,at least he has match practice. He didnt even get on in the Argentina tour.

Maybe bring an other front row instead ,prop to be exact,although we dont have any,so thats out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

maxi-twist wrote:
    You mean Fitzgerald,not a hope id bring him in my 30 man squad. Its a RWC,not some training ground. Id bring Geordan Murphy,at least he has match practice. He didnt even get on in the Argentina tour.

Maybe bring an other front row instead ,prop to be exact,although we dont have any,so thats out the window.

For sure, no way Luke will go thats maddness and a lamb to the slaughter in all fairness.

Its between Murphy G, Carney, Kearney.
    Murphy having experience and versatility, Kearney versatility and Carney a bit of a wild card.

Dave: 3 hookers, 3 SHs and 5 props? At least one of those 3 positons is too much cover I feel. How often was Strings subbed out of neccesity in last few years, once?

Real concern is of course centre and OH, must start no shaggy at 12/13 campaign prior to WC.
    Id like Trimble to get centre game time in the last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Luke Fitzgerald has done nothing to warrant getting into the squad. The RWC is not the place to blood inexpirienced players who have not done anything spectacular in their few appearances.
    Reddan is a great player, but not having played with O'Gara or Wallace (or Humphries?) I think it'd be a bit of a risk. Boss hasn't set the world alight for Ireland, but he's a quality player who's formed some sort of working relationship with O'Gara.
    I'd also include Quinlan. He's a fantastic player with a real work ethic. He rarely puts in anything other than a good performance and was unlucky to miss out on the Six Nations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

You'll probably see 17 forwards and 13 backs. And I'd also bet on 3 scrum halves, 5 props and 3 hookers

Why do we need 5 props??? Our best tactic (when the going gets tough) is to run out of props and have uncontested scrums, particularly if and when we meet the ABs !!!!

I agree with the overall 17 / 13 split tho.

And Jennings is a must...... we have to play it wide at every oportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

il gatto wrote:
    I'd also include Quinlan. He's a fantastic player with a real work ethic. He rarely puts in anything other than a good performance and was unlucky to miss out on the Six Nations.

I agree Quinlan is a good palyer who puts in the performances but he was NOT unlucky to miss the six nations, he was banned in the lead up so he lost his squad place. Therefore its his own fault due to a moment of indisciple which unfortunately seem to have been a feature in his rugby career. Its a shame really because he is an excellent backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Zabbo-I agree with the core of the squad you chose but there are a few eyebrow raisers!

Personally I would take Jennings ahead of Ferris, while Gleeson and Quinlan would be ahead of Ferris in the pecking order in my books. Jennings has proven his class in the premiership and with Gleeson is the only out-and-out 7 at our disposal. so I would debate Gleeson -v- Jennings for the 6th back row spot. Gleeson has experience at internationals but Jennings has the quality and in the past he has proven his adaptibility through captaining Leinster at a young age and filled a void admiraly left by Neil Back at Leicester.

Also I would have Carney and Kearney on my squad also but both on the wings while Fitzgerald stays at home and Murphy battles Dempsey for 15. Why? because I don't know about anyone else but if we find ourselves 4 points ahead of the All Blacks with 10 minutes to go and Dempsey limps off with an injury, who do you trust to play solidly and not drop a high ball or get sidestepped? Murphy of course. the world cup is no place to nurture young talent. However is Murphys relationship with EOS healthy? I dnt think so, Duffys move to Connacht may have got him the 30th place on this years squad.

your selection of 2 scrum halves would have me on edge during the world cup! I would Throw Boss in there and mull over Wallace -v- Humphreys for O'Garas no.2. Then I only have 3 real centres, but If the WORST case scenario occured Horgan can go 12 and trimble 13 the Hickie and Caney on wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

Looks like Jennings is 80% out of the World Cup squad.
    He's out for the next 6 weeks with a thumb injury.
    Probably saves EOS a choice he was going to find difficult anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

No Horgan at 12 please!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sundy wrote:
    I agree Quinlan is a good palyer who puts in the performances but he was NOT unlucky to miss the six nations, he was banned in the lead up so he lost his squad place. Therefore its his own fault due to a moment of indisciple which unfortunately seem to have been a feature in his rugby career. Its a shame really because he is an excellent backrow.

I agree Quinlan is worth anywhere between 3 and 9 points to the opposition and with tight games against Argentina and France he's a liability.

Advertisement