Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women-only DIY courses?

Options
  • 02-06-2007 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Anyone know of any women-only DIY courses in Dublin. I'd like to learn how to do things around the house but I think I would be uncomfortable in a class full of men. There are plenty of these in Britain but I can't find any here.

Have checked FÁS, VECs, nightcourses.com, Google etc - no joy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know if there are any courses, but I think you are jumping to the conclusion that men are naturally and instinctively better at DIY than women. They are not. Its just that more men are interested because on the whole its a suitable thing for them to be interested in. You actually have as good a chance of doing well at it as anyone, mainly because you will be prepared to listen and to ask for help.

Accept that occasionally you might be short on physical strength - but its not often a problem, and that a french manicure is not generally compatible with diy. Then get in and give it a go, you will most likely find there isn't nearly as much posing and condescention as you anticipate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Brooklyn74

looksee wrote:
    I think you are jumping to the conclusion that men are naturally and instinctively better at DIY than women.

I don't know where you got that idea. I'd just be more comfortable in a class of women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

looksee wrote:
    I don't know if there are any courses, but I think you are jumping to the conclusion that men are naturally and instinctively better at DIY than women. They are not. Its just that more men are interested because on the whole its a suitable thing for them to be interested in. You actually have as good a chance of doing well at it as anyone, mainly because you will be prepared to listen and to ask for help.

Accept that occasionally you might be short on physical strength - but its not often a problem, and that a french manicure is not generally compatible with diy. Then get in and give it a go, you will most likely find there isn't nearly as much posing and condescention as you anticipate!
    wow, thats quite the patronising post...

to the op:
    this is all i could find for you, but i have heard of them before.
    check the comunity colleges / plc's/ secondary schools in your local area for a full list of classes.
    Pre-booking for the DIY Ladies' Club is required and further information is available from B&Q in Liffey Valley on 01-6299499
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/12/08/story489174528.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Brooklyn74

Thank you Subway!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BudEliJackson

HI all, I know this is some time ago, but do you know if there is anything on this? I cannot seem to find much on Northside? thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement