Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Stamped Monthly Ticket Why?

Options
  • 02-06-2007 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I purchased a monthly ticket yesterday morning in Kildare train station from station master without him saying anything about ticket. I got the 7:15am train to Heuston ( which was late by 5mins as usual). The conductor checked ticket without saying or doing anything to ticket. Then yesterday evening when coming home on the 18.05 train the ticket inspector was stamping all monthly & weekly tickets saying it was new policy. I asked him why and his answer was "You will get a stamp a month to prove the ticket was used." Obviously I'm not going to spend €185 on a ticket and not use it. Anybody else encounter this yesterday or does anybody know the real reason behind stamping of ticket?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Possibly someone could send back the ticket for a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

What kind of stamp was it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

I can't see a issue here

Irish Rail own the ticket if they want to stamp it they can, it has no impact on your journey if anything its to be welcomed as in the past ticket inspectors paid very little attention to monthly tickets, a small little industry had started up knocking off fakes.

A little known fact is the mag stripe is modified every time it goes through a turnstile by logging the time it went through obviously on the Heuston side that doesn't happen unless its Adamstown. If they want to stamp the tickets to prove they have been used its a admin choice, there are possibly some organised games afoot between the passengers and IE management there has been talk of such.

The stamp is a standard ticket stamp used across most of Europe its been in use here for ages. It will be IExxx in small letters xxx being the number of the stamp itself, then at right angles the date DD.MM.YY and then 4 digits which should represent the station but most of the time lazy staff have the year in 4 digit format. It looks a bit like a RJ45 crimp tool which some people may be familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

irish rail are preparing to install barriers at the gates like th enew one sin Adamstown and Connolly. Hence the removal of the gates in the middle of the floor. Not sure when they are going to do it but they are getting ready for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The barriers where removed for other reasons, possibly to do with putting in proper queuing for trains

Exit validation machines have been mentioned in the past

• Advertisement
Advertisement