Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 07 tv coverage

Options
  • 02-06-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

I know Setanta have all the matches but is there anyone else who'll be showing them over here - Sky,RTE,TV3, etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

TV3 will show the Ireland matches
    Exclusive rights? Please say you are joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Are the TV3 matches live or is it similar to the RTE heineken coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Have TV3 ever covered a top ( any ?! ) leve rugby match???:confused:

Scary thoguht The soccer coverage I find terrible.

Will miss Pookey and Hope, even Setanta analysis is not half as entertaining as the duo.:mad:

• Advertisement

I may just have to shell out the €18 a month for Setanta then it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

itv will cover them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

GDM wrote:
    Are the TV3 matches live or is it similar to the RTE heineken coverage?

The Ireland matches and the final have to be shown live on terrestrial tv.

Anyone know if TV3 have ever shown rugby before?

Its pretty sad that the BBC, Sky and RTE do such a good job showing rugby and not one of them have the world cup. Setanta's magniers league coverage is average at best and ITV haven't shown any rugby since the 2003 WC and that coverage was pants... TV3 LOL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Linford wrote:
    The Ireland matches and the final have to be shown live on terrestrial tv.

Anyone know if TV3 have ever shown rugby before?

Its pretty sad that the BBC, Sky and RTE do such a good job showing rugby and not one of them have the world cup. Setanta's magniers league coverage is average at best and ITV haven't shown any rugby since the 2003 WC and that coverage was pants... TV3 LOL...

God lord, TV3?? They'll probably use Mark Lawrenson so as to get the most value out of him.... It'd make you consider going to the bloody thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

nah i'd say tv3 will plump for trevor brennan for their coverage that would be vintage tv3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

And Trevor Welsh will probably commentate :mad:. I will be watching ITV for all the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

TV3. :mad:

They'll probably squeeze in a few ad breaks while waiting for the video ref.

ITV it is then.

smashey wrote:
    TV3. :mad:

They'll probably squeeze in a few ad breaks while waiting for the video ref.

ITV it is then.

TV3 are cut from the same cloth as ITV. I think I will just have to fork out the €18 a month for Setanta.

I was all on for sky having a competitor, how wrong I was...

Yeah €18 a month is a bit much when all you want to watch is the rugby coverage, I mean you'd only want Setanta Ireland, Setanta Sports 1, Setanta Sports 2 and you could stick Racing UK, Racing World, NASN (North American Sports Network), Celtic TV, Rangers TV and Setanta Golf up your arse for all I care. If only there was a way to get those three and leave the rest.

miles harrison and stuart barnes going to itv for the world cup on loan from sky...maybe itv are taking their production more seriously now

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

will it be on the basic setanta that is free on ntl digital?
    the complete setanta sports package is only an extra tenner a month anyway. get rid of it again after the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

themont85 wrote:
    miles harrison and stuart barnes going to itv for the world cup on loan from sky...maybe itv are taking their production more seriously now

Excellent news. As long as they don't ruin it by poaching Brian Moore from the BBC.

walshy123 wrote:
    will it be on the basic setanta that is free on ntl digital?
    the complete setanta sports package is only an extra tenner a month anyway. get rid of it again after the RWC

Don't think you can, you have to sign up for twelve months as far as I know. I read that Ciaran Fitzgerald has switched to Setanta for the RWC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

*sigh* RTE...Slightly amusing how I have no choice in paying my TV licence, yet I have a choice, and for less money, to subscribe to channells that actually show ambition, quality and decent coverage...I'm taking about the likes of UTV btw, not TV3, although their coverage is shocking, fair play to them, they seem to have taken everything off RTE sport in this country...is there anything left on RTE sports that didn't require the government changing the broadcasting laws? i.e. things I have paid for? or does it all go on award winning hit series like fair city?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

GDM wrote:
    Don't think you can, you have to sign up for twelve months as far as I know. I read that Ciaran Fitzgerald has switched to Setanta for the RWC.

i was sure i saw a thing on there website yesterday saying no subscription but cant see it now.

and im pretty sure if ur with ntl u dont need to get 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

daveirl wrote:

Hopefully the TV3 curse on the Ireland football team won't transfer to the rugby lads.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Hopefully the commentry is better than George Hamilton
    "Real Madrid are like a rabbit in the glare of the headlights in the face of Manchester United's attacks. But this rabbit comes with a suit of armour in the shape of two precious away goals."

flynner13 wrote:
    Hopefully the commentry is better than George Hamilton

If you are refering to TV3, I have just one thing to say..... "Trevor Welsh".....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Just found this out what a disaster. RTE do great coverage in terms of production, panelists and even commentators (at least they're familiar), and a bit of Apres Match/Risteard Cooper. With TV3 we'll get the usual studio they built with materials from Woodies...awful graphics, a studio full of straight men that end up saying nothing and some ponce with a Commincations Masters who's never watched a game in his life doing the commentary.
    Lord help us. At least ITV will provide a slightly better alternative. Can't believe the beeb don't have it....How did this all happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

There is no contract with NTL digital. Probably because so many people would try to get out of them, as NTL are fairly rank as providers go. There is an 'installation' fee of about €50 per digi box, the basic package costs me €20 odd per month. Setanta is included in this.

zuutroy wrote:
    Just found this out what a disaster. RTE do great coverage in terms of production, panelists and even commentators (at least they're familiar), and a bit of Apres Match/Risteard Cooper. With TV3 we'll get the usual studio they built with materials from Woodies...awful graphics, a studio full of straight men that end up saying nothing and some ponce with a Commincations Masters who's never watched a game in his life doing the commentary.
    Lord help us. At least ITV will provide a slightly better alternative. Can't believe the beeb don't have it....How did this all happen!

The BBC have never had the Rugby World Cup (except maybe 1987)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

zuutroy wrote:

I thin the Setanta coverage should be decent. They have a good line-up of pundits on board although I'm slightly concerned about their commentators (Fred Cogley et al).

Can see myself watching some games on ITV (Barnes and Harrison will probably be commentating on the big games) and switching over to Setanta for the analysis.

TV3 Announce World Cup Coverage Plans
    TV3 will be Ireland's national broadcaster for the 2007 Rugby World Cup. The Ballymount-based station have announced their plans to broadcast the tournament's top ten matches live, including all of Ireland's games.

TV3, Ireland's leading commercial broadcaster, today announced details of its exclusive terrestrial rights for the much-anticipated 2007 Rugby World Cup, offering coverage of all of Ireland's games as well as the tournament's opening match (France v Argentina), two quarter-finals, both semi-finals and the final.

All live games will be hosted by Matt Cooper, presenter of 'The Last Word' on Today FM. Matt will be joined in the studio by three pundits for each game including Paul Wallace, Trevor Brennan, Jim Glennon, Michael Cheika, Jim Williams and Victor Costello.

The station's commentary team will consist of BBC Radio Five Live's Conor McNamara and former Ireland international Phillip Matthews.

TV3's team in France will also include sports reporter Sinead Kissane and news reporter Laura Ryan who will be based there for the duration of the tournament, providing daily reports from the Irish camp and on the ground with the fans.

In addition to the live coverage, TV3 will air a series of special rugby programmes in the run up to and during the tournament. TV3 will broadcast four preview programmes on Thursday evenings from August 9 onwards. Over the six weeks of the tournament, TV3's Sports Tonight team will present 'Rugby World Cup Weekly' - a round-up of the major stories coming out of the tournament.

TV3 have also announced that it has secured a major deal with significant rugby sponsors Heineken to be the exclusive broadcast sponsor of all TV3's Rugby World Cup coverage.

David McRedmond, TV3's CEO, said: "As the national broadcaster of the Rugby World Cup, TV3 will provide the best Irish coverage ever for this tournament. We have secured a world-class commentary team and panel to have the broadcast appeal for the widening rugby fan base. We are delighted to have Heineken as a brilliant sponsor."

Heineken Ireland's National Event and Sponsorship manager Pat Maher added: "Heineken is delighted to sponsor TV3's coverage of the 2007 Rugby World Cup to add to our continued involvement in quality rugby events. While we are an official sponsor of the 2007 World Cup, we are proud to play a role in bringing all of the action closer to the fans in Ireland.

"Heineken enjoys a long-standing involvement in the Rugby World Cup, which stretches back to the 1995 World Cup in South Africa. More recently Heineken was a worldwide partner to the 2003 Rugby World Cup in Australia."

DETAILS OF TV3'S 2007 RUGBY WORLD CUP COVERAGE:

Thursday, August 9 - 'All Blacks: Behind the Legend'
    Thursday, August 16 - 'History of the Rugby World Cup'
    Thursday, August 23 - 'Road to the Rugby World Cup'
    Thursday, August 30 - 'RWC Preview Documentary'
    Thursday, September 6 - 'RWC Studio Preview'
    Thursday, September 6 - 'Chasing the Lions'
    Thursday, September 13 - 'Rugby World Cup Weekly'
    Thursday, September 20 - 'Rugby World Cup Weekly'
    Thursday, September 27 - 'Rugby World Cup Weekly'
    Thursday, October 4 - 'Rugby World Cup Weekly'
    Thursday, October 11 - 'Rugby World Cup Weekly'
    Thursday, October 18 - 'Rugby World Cup Weekly'

LIVE MATCH DATES:

Friday, September 7 - France v Argentina, 8pm
    Sunday, September 9 - IRELAND v Namibia, 7pm
    Saturday, September 15 - IRELAND v Georgia, 8pm
    Friday, September 21 - France v IRELAND, 8pm
    Sunday, September 30 - IRELAND v Argentina, 4pm
    Saturday, October 6 - Quarter-final (1), tbc
    Sunday, October 7 - Quarter-final (2), tbc
    Saturday, October 13 - Semi-final (1), 8pm
    Sunday, October 14 - Semi-final (2), 8pm
    Saturday, October 20 - Final, 8pm

I just knew trevor brennan would be on TV3, just knew it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I've never watched a rugby game on tv3 before. Not sure if theres ever been any rugby on this channel before??? It should be interesting to see what they do with it. Good to see they're putting on some "build up shows" in August anyway. I like Matt Cooper, looking forward to seeing him present the shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

themont85 wrote:
    David McRedmond, TV3's CEO, said: "As the national broadcaster of the Rugby World Cup, TV3 will provide the best Irish coverage ever for this tournament. We have secured a world-class commentary team and panel to have the broadcast appeal for the widening rugby fan base. We are delighted to have Heineken as a brilliant sponsor."

McRedmond formerly of eircom and the "broadband? Ah sure nobody really wants it!" line?

Wasn't his daddy a big wig in RTE once?

Must be looking at this with a frown if he's a rugby fan.

Advertisement