Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to tv problems

Options
  • 02-06-2007 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

ive been trying to hook up my laptop to my tv for ages now and just cant get it to work. i have a hp nc8430 laptop. i have a 7-pin s-video to composite.

when i hook it up to the tv i got to display and set my destop to extend to the second monitor. it doesnt detect it.

i also have a vga to scart. it seems to detect it but noting comes up on any of the av channels ( ive tried it on three different tv's)

ive also updated the driver for my graphics card.

Any adice?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Hmmm... Have you set your desktop size for the 2nd monitor (your TV) small enough? Try 640x480 which is fairly close to a TV's normal resolution. Also, try setting the refresh rate to 50 Hz if you can, though any video out or VGA adaptor should do this automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

lowest size it goes is 800x600 and lowest the refresh rate is 60hz. its all quite annoying. lol im totally stumped at the problem

Hmmm... That's an odd one alright... Dunno what else you can do, but it's odd that the VGA-Scart doesn't work... Does the VGA itself work? Did you try starting the laptop up from cold with the TV/Adaptor attached? Sometimes when they're not attached at startup the capability is disabled, presumably to save power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

try svideo to svideo,
    if its an intel chipset thats the only thing that will work.

also, do you have a link to this vga to scart thing?
    nevr heard of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Otto123

I am also expereincing some difficulties in theis area. I ahave a philips 37' LCD whihc has a HDMI output connection. My lap top only has a VGA connectio, so I bought a HDMI/DVI cable, and then using a DVI/VGA adaptor connected to my TV. When I select the source as HDMI on the TV it returns an error of no input signal.
    Anybody got any ideas on what this is - or is VGA not sufficient?

Sounds like the TV only wants digital input on the HDMI connector. That connection supports both digital and analogue VGA-style signals, but from a VGA adaptor it's only gonna have the analogue component which a TV probably won't be expecting, having a SCART instead for analogue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Otto123

where can i get a HDMI card for the laptop, and are they expensive? Cheers

i got that connection i bought in today, it is making the screen come up 3 times with lines going through it. tried it on every different resolution. anyway around this or should i just splash out on one of them boxes? if so any links to a nice cheap one.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/For-VGA-to-S-Video-4-pin-RCA-Composite-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ180126955531QQihZ008QQcategoryZ61395QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

inode wrote:
    i got that connection i bought in today, it is making the screen come up 3 times with lines going through it. tried it on every different resolution. anyway around this or should i just splash out on one of them boxes?

Is the image black and white too? Could be that you need to go into your graphic properties and set the output to PAL-I rather than NTSC which it is more than likely set to.

• Advertisement

its in black and white and in 3 places, it is set on PAL-I. im sickened at this stage

Advertisement