Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodwork course

Options
  • 01-06-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I didn't do woodwork for leaving cert but always regretted such decision, I do not want to make a career of such, but would be interested in improving my woodwork skills.

Is there any courses that teach woodwork from basic standard up...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've never heard of any, although at a guess I'd say night courses are available,somewhere.Although i didn't particularly like woodwork in school, that may have been the teacher's fault;) I did learn the basics. When I built my shed and got an interest again i bought a few books and surprised myself remembering some joints etc, I won't claim though that they always fitted together, and still don't sometimes, but books or mags are always a good place to start.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

I attended an intermediate course in Cork, Colaiste Stiofan Naoife last year, a 10 week coarse goin over the materials, tools and techniques needed to build a small table. I hadn't studied it at school and was only familiar with the basic tools, Since then I've pretty much become addicted, spend alot of my time, thinking about projects, looking at websites and transforming planks into big piles of saw dust.
    Coarses usuall run with the school terms, sept -> xmas, xmass - easter etc...
    Well worth checking out, good mix of guys and girls attending corase too!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

Hi there, i didn't even do woodwork in school, but i have managed to build a new kitchen from red-oak in the last year, all self taught as there are no courses anywhere near me. There are lots of books and websites out there, http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ is a really good forum and i have found them really helpful. I find dvd's really good as well, you can pick up a few from axminster, better to see things done than to read about it i find. Also consider a conscription to fine woodworking magazine, and their website that has some excellent woodworking resources.

Hope this helps...

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I did one last September here in Dublin. When I went looking I found loads being run by the local community schools. Call your local community schools and if they do not run them, they may be able to advise what local college is.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

There are excellent full time courses in England, maybe in Ireland too but the ones in England would produce expert cabinet makers, very expensive though, maybe €30,000 a year for some of them.

Like limerick_woody says, the forum he linked to is excellent, you would get info on English courses on that forum. I have never come across many in Ireland although expert cabinet makers exist here too....

Cheers
    Joe

• Advertisement
Advertisement