Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend me a book.

Options
  • 01-06-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a book on Irish history that covers the lead up to 1916, the Rising, through the Civil War and formation of the state. I know that's a lot but maybe you know of something that covers it. Even up to the end of the Civil War will do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have a look at some of R.V Comerford's stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

General stuff that would cover this which is still in print would include:

Ferriter 'The Transformation of Ireland 1900-2000'
    Keogh 'Twentieth Century Ireland'
    Lyons 'Ireland Since the Famine'
    Lee 'Ireland 1912-1985'

They are all the best historians on twentieth century Ireland who have written a good general history of the period you are looking for.

Ronan Fanning's 'Independent Ireland' is also a very good overview, but is out of print. It can still be found in second hand book shops now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The best most recent book is Bill Kissanes book, 'The politics of the Irish Civil War', or for a more general one around that period, 'Explaining Irish Democracy'. This would be the best ones that explain the situation the most accurately.

If you want a more general book, there is of course the great F.S.L. Lyons book, 'Ireland since the Famine'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

A somone else mentioned Ferriter's book is good.
    Robert Kee's The Green Flag is good once you realise that its primarily intended for a British audience and ignore the first four or so chapters.
    Annie Ryan Witnesses:Inside the Easter Rising is excellent as it uses the witness statements of taken by the Bureau of Military History that were only released in the 2003. She also did the same for the War of Independence but I haven't read that book yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Ernie O'Malleys book 'On another man's wound' is an excellent memoir from Easter 1916 to the truce. He also wrote of his experiences of the civil war called 'The Singing Flame'. Also Tom Barry's 'Guerrilla Days in Ireland' and Dan Breen's 'My Fight for Irish Freedom'. Are good first hand accounts of people involved in the conflict. I also read an interesting book on the experiences of British troops in Ireland from 1916 to 1922 but I forget what it was called. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Ernie O'Malleys book 'On another man's wound' is an excellent memoir from Easter 1916 to the truce. He also wrote of his experiences of the civil war called 'The Singing Flame'. Also Tom Barry's 'Guerrilla Days in Ireland' and Dan Breen's 'My Fight for Irish Freedom'. Are good first hand accounts of people involved in the conflict. I also read an interesting book on the experiences of British troops in Ireland from 1916 to 1922 but I forget what it was called. :(

Good choices. Those books are a must for anyone who wants to learn about the Irish Independence struggle. I have to say On another man's wound is by the best of the three. O'Malley is a talented writer imo and he has a good compassionate style that tells the story well especially his time in jail. I haven't got round to the Singing Flame but it is next on my list:). Barry's book is also very good.

Another good first hand account, albeit from a non-combatant and just covering the Rising, is James Stephens diary. Well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

British Voices is a good read, its gives accounts of the British views of the time in the War of Independance, although it is a bit Cork orientated. Still good though.

Advertisement