Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematical Sciences

Options
  • 01-06-2007 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi

Im still unsure of what course to choose for next year.

Could anybody studying Mathematical Sciences tell me what are the job prospects for this course? Do most people end up teaching?

Also, how difficult is the course? Ill probably get a B1 in maths for de L.C. Would this be enough to do this course?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ShamOCeallaigh

Hey Gary,
    Very few people go into teaching, one maybe each year but they are usually people who would be very passionate about the job because there are so many more oppurtunities for people with a degree in Mathematical Sciences. I finished my degree last year and I'm finishing off a MSc by research before I start a job with an investment bank, in their market risk department. Basically, the department is full of people with maths and physics degrees using the techniques they learned in their degrees to determine the best strategies for the bank to make money.

Most go on to do MSc or PhDs but others go straight to industry. As for the quality of maths, I would say most come in with A1s in Maths (and probably Applied Maths and Physics) but that's not so say that you couldn't do well in the course without an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

hey yea im interested in this course too, but lets be honest and talk money here? are financial prospects good?...be frank!:rolleyes:

Starting salary is 37k before bonuses, travel benefits etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

what about the maths man???

It's all about the maths modelling! Very intricate problems with no easy solutions.

• Advertisement

well about the maths....i figure it cant be too bad once the person works at it...so if the prospect of a 'nice':rolleyes: sallery is waiting for you after your degree then i think a little hard work wouldnt take much effort. BUT saying that its too late now! i chose civil eng after months of deliberating...ill let ye know how i get on...cause i know you guys all care!!!:rolleyes:

Civ eng! You jumped on the bandwagon! I spent ages at a recent UCC open day trying to convince some 6th years into doing maths/physics over Civ eng. Civ eng is in the position elec eng used to be, based on the fact that the Irish economy needs civ eng at the moment to cater for the property market that is proping up the Irish economy, just like elec eng/computers were the high points courses.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a fine course and there is a brilliant engineer in my research group (who decided to do a MSc in applied maths before he heads off to do a PhD in Nuclear Physics!) but I really think that the course is too big and basically it's like being in a lads secondary school. The classes in general have little love for the subject rather than just wanting a career.

Good luck all the same!

Civ eng! You jumped on the bandwagon! I spent ages at a recent UCC open day trying to convince some 6th years into doing maths/physics over Civ eng. Civ eng is in the position elec eng used to be, based on the fact that the Irish economy needs civ eng at the moment to cater for the property market that is proping up the Irish economy, just like elec eng/computers were the high points courses.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a fine course and there is a brilliant engineer in my research group (who decided to do a MSc in applied maths before he heads off to do a PhD in Nuclear Physics!) but I really think that the course is too big and basically it's like being in a lads secondary school. The classes in general have little love for the subject rather than just wanting a career.
    Good luck all the same!

gees dude thanks for the comment:o a simple...'i hope you do well' would have sufficed!;) its ok though...ill let you off! my brother is a civ eng graduate so we have discussed it and i think i should enjoy it. if i had done the maths on the other hand it would have been primarily for the lucrative pot of gold after the degree!:rolleyes: (wat can i say...im honest!) meh this is all ifs and buts anyway....cant change it now. well im only a young fella i guess...loads of time yet! but tell me something...do i have to continue in the engineering vein of things or do i have an oppurtunity to branch off after say...first year or something?

Sorry about the rant! It's something that I feel a bit strongly about (CAO, leaving cert and terrible career guidance).
    but tell me something...do i have to continue in the engineering vein of things or do i have an oppurtunity to branch off after say...first year or something?

Not really, it's a very structured degree programme and doesn't give much chance to switch from Civil. Really good students from Computer Scientists or elec engineers have moved to BIS>

Advertisement