Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU fan on overdrive?

Options
  • 31-05-2007 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

I've a three year old Acer laptop with a lot of miles on the clock so to speak.

I've had to replace the hard drive in the last six months, so I know its been working hard since I've had it.

Recently the CPU fan has started to kick in very quickly (and relatively noisily), even during standard web browsing. Should I be worried?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yes. The fan is on its way out. Get it replaced asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I've a three year old Acer laptop with a lot of miles on the clock so to speak.

I've had to replace the hard drive in the last six months, so I know its been working hard since I've had it.

Recently the CPU fan has started to kick in very quickly (and relatively noisily), even during standard web browsing. Should I be worried?

You might also wnat to open up the laptop and use a can of compressed air to clean out the heatsinks: dust builds up very easily after a few years which messes up the cooling of the laptop.

Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ta chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

uberpixie wrote:
    You might also wnat to open up the laptop and use a can of compressed air to clean out the heatsinks: dust builds up very easily after a few years which messes up the cooling of the laptop.

Worth a shot.

Appears to have done the trick, can barely hear the fan now.

Advertisement