Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba or HP?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Toshiba all the way imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Toshiba all the way imho.
    go with the toshiba.. best built laptops imo... i have one and it has taken lots of abuse, has fallen off desks, and its still working perfectly...

they are a great laptop...and last ...

i have had other laptops and the toshiba is by far the best!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of my friends had a HP. Didn't work properly from the moment he got it. So it brought it back and got another brand (can't remember which). Another one of my friends still has a HP and has had so many problems with it. So I'd have to go with Toshiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, I'm still a bitter, angry little man about my HP that I bought three years ago and gave me nothing but hassle.

If I had to choose between the two, I would certainly chose the Toshiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I agree with Tom as stated above, working in repair I see nothing but problems with HP's and have had many's an arguement with people who take the opposite stance...Go with Toshiba, still not my favourite brand ( as I look at the Tecra S1 behind me needing a new motherboard....)
    If you want unbridled reliability, dude get an IBM (sorry Lenovo :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have had 2 Toshiba's that have served me well and will be looking to get another towards the end of the year.

I would also recommend a Lenovo, had one in my previous job and it was built like a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

gandalf wrote:
    I would also recommend a Lenovo, had one in my previous job and it was built like a tank.

I'm on my 4th or 5th IBM laptop - the place I used to work in used them all the time and now I have my own, even if it is Leveno. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Toshiba's tend to be pricey, but if you shop around, you can get a bargain. I bought a Toshiba (with all the latest goodies) at $300 USD off Toshiba's online retail price last February at a large retailer during a 3 day window.

Regarding HPs, I have a techie friend that does maintanence at a Best Buy electronics department store. He says that he rarely sees a Toshiba in for hardware maintenance, but often repairs HPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i have a HP Pavilion myself. got it last september, at the moment the speakers dont work and the battery is fcuked. if you are going to do a bit of gaming, the graphics card is crap on the Toshiba

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well it depends which Tosh you go for, some have integrated graphics some have dedicated graphics. My 2 year old one has a ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB's of Graphics Memory which handles most games out there (well it runs DoD Source which does me).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I always find Toshibas are a bit too fancy and ahead of the time... the one I'm using now is maybe 3 years old and it's easily comparable to most laptops that are out now from other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fitzcarraldo

Thanks Guys

Went for the Tosh in the end and I am delighted with it

The A200 series has a realy nice design and speakers and screen are fab

Off topic put does anyone know where to to get a cheap wireless router?

Its one thing having a wireless laptop, its another to only be able to use it to play solitaire!

Advertisement