Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiga Emulator ?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, this seemed like the most knowledgable section regarding this subject:p

Does anyone know of any emulators or anything that are available which emulate the old amiga...600 i think it was. The one with the keyboard and joystick..and all those old retro games :)

Cant remember all teh games...but it took floppys anyways

Anyone help me out on the model and an emulator ?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

You will need winaue (emulator) and the kickstart files (basically a bios file i think).

Winuae is readily available on the net but you might need to do a bit of googling to find the kickstart roms as there are not distributed freely around the net.

Once you have winuae up and running, you might consider installing an app called Lemonade.
    It acts as a winuae front end. It provides a nice library style access to all your games.
    Might not be to everyone's tastes though, depending on preferences.

2 good amiga sites to get you up to speed:

www.lemonamiga.com check out the forums for emulator help
    http://hol.abime.net/ log of all amiga games released includes screenshots etc

Please note that these sites do not host any files - information purposes only!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

There's no need to go running off to another site you can get all the help you need here ;)

1.) Head to www.wineuae.net Download WinUAE 1.4.2 and install

2.) Next grab the lemonade frontend at http://www.lemonamiga.com/lemonade/
    and insatll it.

3.) Google the amiga Kick start roms or use Bit torrent (There's Loads of them)
    Kickstart 1.3 is an A500, 2.05 is an A600 and 3.1 is an A1200

4.)Google some games! They come in the .adf file format but are usually zipped.

5.)Start Lemoade and fill in the the locations for the files it looks for

6.)Either let Lemonade scan your HD for your games or mannualy browse for then were it says DF0:

7.) Hit the start emulator button!

Any questions just ask :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any Amiga emulators for Linux out there? Or will I have to use a Windows emulator to then emulate the Amiga? :)

Edit: Heh, found one in 12 seconds :D
    Ooh, just thinking about Cannon Fodder....

Any Amiga emulators for Linux out there? Or will I have to use a Windows emulator to then emulate the Amiga? :)

Edit: Heh, found one in 12 seconds :D
    Ooh, just thinking about Cannon Fodder....

Yep there's a UAE for linux too :)

Cannon fodder
    Alien Breed
    Dune 2
    IK+

Must have games imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Mmmm would love a go off Syndicate again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I almost went insane trying to configure the WinUAE with the hard drive loader. I didn't succeed and I will NEVER try again, it simply made me very angry, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Thanks lads :)

No problem! Any other difficulties just post. Amiga emualtion is far easier to configure then it used to be but it can still be daunting at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I almost went insane trying to configure the WinUAE with the hard drive loader. I didn't succeed and I will NEVER try again, it simply made me very angry, that's all.

Don't give up Jerichoholic, most Amiga games worked on the basic Amiga 500 (and definitely 99% when with the full 1Mb). Any AGA games were for the A1200 (2Mb) - just pick the common configuration.
    As Logie mentions you can also use Lemonade's frontend. The Amiga was a fantastic piece of kit back then. I'm on a dosbox run right now, but will get back to miggie soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I had a A1200, A500+ and a A4000. I eventually went over to 'The Darkside' and got my first PC. It was a 486DX 2/66 iirc! I wanted to play the old Amiga games and started looking for ways to do it.

A few people told me about the UAE, but some said the letters meant Useless Amiga Emulator! I never actually got round to trying it out, but a few years ago bought a CD from eBay with the MIME32 program and (allegidly) lots of ROMs. There are a few games that were on the 'Miggy so have managed to recapture my yoof! (I'm 41 now!)

I only have 3 games on my laptop now, Mechwarrior 3, Red Faction 2, and C&C Red Alert 2. My hund en eaye co-ordination is ****e! Anyway nice to see the 'Miggy is still alive and just remember the Creature Comforts, Morph, Wallace & Grommit, Angry Kid etc were originally done with a 'Miggy! :D

• Advertisement

DJ_Spider wrote:
    I had a A1200, A500+ and a A4000. I eventually went over to 'The Darkside' and got my first PC. It was a 486DX 2/66 iirc!

Cool... interesting. Going off track for a sec.What kind of 486DX2/66 system did you plummet for back then? Off hand I remember mine was in June 1993.
    It was "cheap" clone bought in from the UK from a short-lived crowd called Reeves PC. It came with 4Mb (bumped to 8Mb for another IR £250). The hard drive was a seagate (250Mb drive) which formatted to 240Mb. The videocard was a 1Mb Tseng ET4000 plugged in a vesa local bus slot which pretty good for Dos as I found out later (ie Doom) at 320x200. SVGA was pretty damn slow - cpu bound but looked nice. Windows 3.1 was ok at 1024x768 but looked small on the 15" Goldstar monitor. The 8x1Mb ram took all simms slots so upgrading was pretty limited. There was an ISA slot used by a hard-drive card controller for the hard drive itself. I must admit the inards was a mess by today's standards (or any since 1996 infact!). Price was £1850 sterling... and only had the machine for 2 years before a 16Mb P120 took it's spot.
    I nearly went for an A1200 before going the PC route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

Never really played the Amiga. If you where to name the best games on the system, what would they be???? Give them a go laters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Off the top of my head:

Apidya, Cannon Fodder, Silly Putty, Syndicate, Alien Breed games.

pinball fantasies, pinball dreams, flashback, gods, speedball 2, sensible soccer.... oh so many classics....

for the more slower paced....
    Eye of the beholder I & II, Monkey Island I & II, Hired Guns....

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Ooh, the Monkey Islands are up there! Sensible World of Soccer (Even had Bray Wanderers in it!!), Cannon Fodder, and to this day I still play Worms: The Director's Cut, one of the last games ever released from an original software house for the Amiga. Comes out at parties and the likes, absolutely legend stuff!!

Can I add to that:
    Frontier: Elite II
    The Settlers
    Megalomania
    Syndicate (and the mission disk American Revolt) was cracking!

And then for the more "modern" Amigas (will either require graphics card emulation or won't work at all under UAE):
    Foundation
    Wipeout 2097
    Descent: Freespace

hamster wrote:
    I nearly went for an A1200 before going the PC route.

An A1200 (heavily upgraded of course) was my main computer right up until an AMD XP2000 took over in around 2003... Worked fine for my internet, mail, music, CD burning, photo editing, and still does this from time to time today :)

Wow that is dedication to the Amiga! I was well PC'd up by 2003 ;)

Some more forgotten Amiga classics that haven't been mentioned....

Moon Stone (A CLASSIC! game)
    Jim Power
    Lotus Espirt 2 (Fantastic tunes)
    Lemmings 1 & 2 (Before they stupidly went 3d)
    Supremacy (Old but still a great game)
    Hunter (First game I'd ever seen like it. Massive 3d world way before GTA)
    James Pond:Robocod (Shameless advertising a chocolate bar)
    North & South (Brilliant in two player)
    Night shift - from lucas arts ( I may be alone in loving this game!)
    Turrican 2 (nuff said)
    Zee Wolf (Similar graphics to Virus! but a nice game)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

LoGiE wrote:
    There's no need to go running off to another site you can get all the help you need here ;)

1.) Head to www.wineuae.net Download WinUAE 1.4.2 and install

2.) Next grab the lemonade frontend at http://www.lemonamiga.com/lemonade/
    and insatll it.

3.) Google the amiga Kick start roms or use Bit torrent (There's Loads of them)
    Kickstart 1.3 is an A500, 2.05 is an A600 and 3.1 is an A1200

4.)Google some games! They come in the .adf file format but are usually zipped.

5.)Start Lemoade and fill in the the locations for the files it looks for

6.)Either let Lemonade scan your HD for your games or mannualy browse for then were it says DF0:

7.) Hit the start emulator button!

Any questions just ask :)

Just saw this thread--Question for you Logie--When you do obtain the kickstart roms-where do I put them??And will Lemonade automatically select the correct one to use for each game?
    Thanks
    Richie

LoGiE wrote:
    Wow that is dedication to the Amiga! I was well PC'd up by 2003 ;)
    In fairness it was pretty maxed out so didn't have a major problem doing all my college and graphics stuff, the PC was only really needed for things like DVD burning and video work...
    Some more forgotten Amiga classics that haven't been mentioned....

Moon Stone (A CLASSIC! game)
    Lemmings 1 & 2 (Before they stupidly went 3d)
    Hunter (First game I'd ever seen like it. Massive 3d world way before GTA)
    James Pond:Robocod (Shameless advertising a chocolate bar)
    Turrican 2 (nuff said)
    Zee Wolf (Similar graphics to Virus! but a nice game)

Yeah, every one of those games cost me days, weeks or months! Especially Zeewolf, couldn't get enough of it for months!

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote:
    Just saw this thread--Question for you Logie--When you do obtain the kickstart roms-where do I put them??And will Lemonade automatically select the correct one to use for each game?
    Thanks
    Richie

I've never used Lemonade, but in WinUAE you just put them wherever you want (I made a folder within the WinUAE folder for them), and select them with a standard file requestor... You have to choose which ROMs you want, but basically you can just set up profiles for each ROM and configuration, and then just choose that when you want to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I used Winfellow before. Never had a problem with it and its quiet easy to use.

http://fellow.sourceforge.net/new_version/index.php

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

One more stupid question??

How in hell do I run multidisk games??Every time it gets to the "insert disk X" I cant get the next disk to load.

Hellrazer wrote:
    One more stupid question??

How in hell do I run multidisk games??Every time it gets to the "insert disk X" I cant get the next disk to load.

Press F12 on the PC keyboard and it gives you a number of things you can change while it runs - one of these is the .adf image which is in each virtual drive. Or you can start it with all four virtual drives loaded with different disk images of the game (once there aren't more than 4 of course") and this will work for most games, though some only like using DF0:

Once you play with it a bit Hellrazer, you'll be familar with it. Later on you should try installing the workbench 3.1 (look up the Green Alien guide) . Once you got your favorite game going you can save the configuration - right down to the clicks of the sound of floppy disk. :D

I'm willing to offer anyone help setting it up, creating useable Workbench installations and so on - once I have some free time :) Oh, and I work for beer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

If you do a search for MAME32 you can download ROMS. I have a CD with over 2000 games on it I got form ebay a few years ago. A few games are from the Miggy. Terminator was good, Elite, Ruff n Tumble, Alien, Worms, Lotus Elite, and the best was Turrican 2 of course. BTW I have Motorola V360 has a version of worms called crazy. Same as worms but with moles! I also have Worms 2 on my PC just like the original. (but no cheats for the banana bombs!)

Hehe, banana bombs :) Yeah, Worms: Director's Cut on the Miggy still comes out for me sometimes, tis class, and IMHO the best version for pure gameplay. Priceless ming vases, postal strikes and mad cows, yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KeredDrachir

How can I get Win UAE to recognise my USB joystick? It seems to only look for COM ports. I know I got it working once but I'm pulling my hair out trying to remember how.
    Most of the really good game require a joystick, at least the once where you use the mouse can only entertain for so long.

• Advertisement

Firstly make sure your using the latest version of WinUAE and your USB is installed in windows correctly. It should then be available from the drop down menu in gameports. I use a wingman USB joypad thats years old without any problems. :)

Advertisement