Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted post

Options
  • 30-05-2007 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

How do you stop unwanted post??
    I bought a house some time ago which had previously been rented out and I keep getting letters for the previous tennants. I have no forwarding address and I always write "Return to sender" and stick it back in the post, but the letters keep coming. Does anyone know hoe to stop this

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

DO0GLE wrote:
    How do you stop unwanted post??
    I bought a house some time ago which had previously been rented out and I keep getting letters for the previous tennants. I have no forwarding address and I always write "Return to sender" and stick it back in the post, but the letters keep coming. Does anyone know hoe to stop this
    The most straightforward thing is to tell your postman. He/she might be able to help you out by simply not delivering the stuff. I dont know if theres an official procedure with an post to stop it.
    If the post is often from the same company you could also open a letter and give the company concerned a call about it. (I did this once and didnt get any schtick from the sender (a solicitor) for opening someone elses mail)

Otherwise I think youre very conceintious to bother putting them back in the post, many would just bin them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

An post are legally obliged to deliver the items to the address on the letter.
    It's a pain I know but the only remedy is to get them stopped at source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I've found putting "not known at this address" and putting it back into the postal system works a treat.

also, slightly related, about three weeks ago I put a sticker on my letterbox: "no leaflets, flyers or papers please" - not really expecting it to work, and you know what my junk mail has just dried up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

tbh wrote:
    also, slightly related, about three weeks ago I put a sticker on my letterbox: "no leaflets, flyers or papers please" - not really expecting it to work, and you know what my junk mail has just dried up completely.

Is that because the election is over? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tbh wrote:
    I've found putting "not known at this address" and putting it back into the postal system works a treat.

Thats genius. *goes off to get sticker*

Now if i could just stop them being packed by the dozen in glossy magazines.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's mad! I honestly didn't think it would work but it really has.

As for the mags: pick them up by the spine and give them a little shake in the shops - that's what I do with the Sunday Times anyway!!

I noticed in the part of Oz I stayed in that those stickers were on almost everyones post box!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I used to return to sender, but in the end got pissed off getting mails from the same companies and now just bin them all. If the person who left cannot be bothered to change the address for his mail a few months after he's left the place then the bin is where they belong.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement