Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag list - do I let it go?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping for a little advice, but i realise it's ultimately my choice. I got an appartment, and to be fair it's a great finish.
    My engineer had a hard time producing the snag as there really is only minor things wrong (small scratches on the inside if a press etc. minor scratching on the windows).
    Now they called me back for the final inspection, but a lot of the work wasn't completed. In fact all the minor things weren't done.
    Now I wondering, will they really replace a ceiling to floor window because I pointed out a few scratches?
    Will they really replace a kitchen press door because theres a scratch on the inside??
    Should I care???

What do you think folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'd get it changed. They can usually fill scratches etc so they don't look so bad. I'd insist on getting that done at least. That way if other things arise they know you're not a pushover.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zulu wrote:
    I'm hoping for a little advice, but i realise it's ultimately my choice. I got an appartment, and to be fair it's a great finish.
    My engineer had a hard time producing the snag as there really is only minor things wrong (small scratches on the inside if a press etc. minor scratching on the windows).
    Now they called me back for the final inspection, but a lot of the work wasn't completed. In fact all the minor things weren't done.
    Now I wondering, will they really replace a ceiling to floor window because I pointed out a few scratches?
    Will they really replace a kitchen press door because theres a scratch on the inside??
    Should I care???

What do you think folks

Windows can be sanded down with very fine snadpaper/brush. I had the same.

A lot of stuff wasnt done. I let some of it go but not the stuff that was in plain sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Yep, i agree. I'd get the window sorted, but probably wouldn't worry about the inside of the kitchen cabinet. There will be plenty more scratches in a very short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

had smae thing with my windows. builder wouldn't do anything about them so they were left as was. they will generally only do 2/3's of the snaglist so be prepared that they won't do everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You are not being picky.

This is the point of a snag list.
    Think of buying a car, yould you say the scratch on teh window was ok?
    Now multiply the price of the car by 20.

My Apt was very well finished but i still made sure every single snag (within reason ) as finished to a hight standard. I even made them re-do things that were not quality.
    The builder said at one point that 'Things only ever get 90% done on a site' I told him that That's fine if he'd be happy to take 90% of the price.

The snags got done, I'm happy, I feel like i got what i paid for. I was nice to the builder but firm, i'm not an idiot with money toburn .

There is enough things to do after you move in without completing snags yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

jubi lee wrote:
    had smae thing with my windows. builder wouldn't do anything about them so they were left as was. they will generally only do 2/3's of the snaglist so be prepared that they won't do everything!

I made them change 2 windows and complete 45 out of 50 snag items :)

It's your house.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Cheers folks.
    I've had a think about it and you are right. I'm spending a fu(kin fortune on this place. And to be honest, I've a lot coming up in the next three months so I'm going to dig my heels in. Frankly I'll enjoy the summer a whole lot more if I'm not paying a mortgage, so I'm prepared to dig in. Are they? ;)

Advertisement