Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be an air frost tonight? (28th May)

Options
  • 28-05-2007 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

4.8C and falling under clear sky. :eek:

Grass temp already -1C

I've just covered spuds, sweet corn, courgette, pumpkin...

I think I'll set the alarm clock for really early to spray some water early to wash off the frost before sunrise as I didn't have enough to cover everything.

I could be over reacting, but better safe than sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Mothman wrote:
    4.8C and falling under clear sky. :eek:

Grass temp already -1C

I've just covered spuds, sweet corn, courgette, pumpkin...

I think I'll set the alarm clock for really early to spray some water early to wash off the frost before sunrise as I didn't have enough to cover everything.

I could be over reacting, but better safe than sorry.

4.3c here and dropping rapidly.

Damn - my spuds are about a foot high - too high to be covered by straw. Could be wiped out tonight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

arctictree wrote:
    4.3c here and dropping rapidly.

Damn - my spuds are about a foot high - too high to be covered by straw. Could be wiped out tonight....

I'm serious with that water trick. Spray them down before the rising sun hits them.

I don't know how much spuds you have, but even laying a bit of straw ontop could help. If some wind blows it off, well you won't have a frost.

4.1C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its 4.7°C here and you are usually colder than me by about 2°C in conditions like this, going to be close is my guess.

I'm going for 2.1°C as the min here tonight with ground frost.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

3.7c

Mothman wrote:
    I'm serious with that water trick. Spray them down before the rising sun hits them.

I don't know how much spuds you have, but even laying a bit of straw ontop could help. If some wind blows it off, well you won't have a frost.

4.1C now.

Only 4 x 20 foot rows. Right - I'm off to cover them in straw! Will water them early in the morning too....

A

• Advertisement

3.1C

DP 1.4C, but with me this seems to drop quite readily.

The air frost will be touch and go, but grass temp may well be 4-5C colder.

Stalled for now at 2.9/3.0C

3.1c here now. Just covered the spuds with straw - hope they'll be OK.

My neighbour has a couple of acres of spuds and he's in a frost hollow - could be very risky but then he's been growing them for 50 years at least so he should know what to do...

A

arctictree wrote:
    My neighbour has a couple of acres of spuds and he's in a frost hollow - could be very risky but then he's been growing them for 50 years at least so he should know what to do...

A

Burn straw bales upwind.......if you know where upwind is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

7.4c here atm.

• Advertisement

A few clouds have drifted over and the DP is rising.
    Grass temp now above zero.

Temp 3.1C
    DP 2.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Same here, dropped to 3.4, now 4.0.

I can't wait to compare numbers with you Mothman once I have proper kit installed, should be interesting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Still climbing.
    3.6C
    DP 2.6C

Slight NNE wind bring in some maritime air.

In the end the AWS got down to +0.3C, though the official min is 0.7C with grass temp of -3.4C, just low enough for a visible frost, but not to cause damage.
    The AWS is a little further down the field, and slightly more sheltered than the stevensons screen.

At 5am, plenty of low temps around the country.
    Dublin AP +0.3C
    Claremorris 0.5C
    Birr 0.6C
    Casement 1.3C
    Clones 1.4C

I should point out that the grass min of -3.4C ranks in 4th place for May, 2nd and 3rd place were also set this month.
    Lowest on record -4.9C set on 11th May 2005 when the air min fell to -0.7C

Birr -0.3C at 6am

Min of 0.7c here last night. Very low for the time of year. Pity its not June yet - could have been a record breaker. I see the absolute min for June at Dublin Airport is +1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

On bbc weather,enniskillen got down to -1c,probably rounded off but subzero air temp

Min here was +2.8c thankfully so my maize crop escapes again :)

Just posted this in the Rain and Shine thread.

Have you noticed how low the humidity is at some stations.
    Shannon AP, Casement and Kilkenny.

With sub zero DP now, there could be a significant frost tonight.

• Advertisement

Got up early to do a damage limitation excercise after my 3rd May air frost on record. (1999)
    A min of -0.1C, grass min -3.5C

The frost has already melted though. In fact I'm bemused, because the grass temp is 4C and the air temp is actually less at 3C.

BTW, my record min for June is 3.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was at a crop walk on a farm in West Wicklow today which had 50,000 Christmas trees badly damaged by the frost this week, they will probably not be fit to harvest this year. Another grower had 40,000 almost completely destroyed. The area is quite hilly and the worst damage seemed to happen on the lower slopes but younger trees at the bottom seemed to escape.

Advertisement