Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home weathercam for website

Options
  • 28-05-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if its possible to upload cam images using Weatherlink software?

I've got dial up internet access so its just going to be a single image uploaded every half hour or so.
    I'd like to have a site with weather stats and graphs as well as a currentish image I can look at when I'm bored in work (or check to see if its snowing here in winter ;))

Will any cam work as long as windows drivers are loaded?
    Artictree how do you get the cam images on to your site?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

WL can upload files, so as long as your webcam software can leave a file handy for WL to upload, then it can do it.

WL does not make up websites, even simple ones. There are template webpages within the software. So a little work is needed in sorting out a simple website, even if its one or 2 pages using the WL templates and another page for the webcam image.

BTW,
    most of my site is updated by WL.
    I never had the time to learn other software such as weather display, which can do so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Yes, it's possible i think but as mothman said the software would have to provide the image. I think weather display has a feature to add in a webcam which may work alot easier but then you'd have to buy the software:(. If you have a web editing program like dreamweaver, it' very easy to edit the templates done by weather link. This is one of the templates with some modification
    http://www.brayweather.com/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I use VWS (Virtual Weather Station) software. It takes a feed from the weather station and creates web pages. I have modified the HTML template so that it also points to an image stored on the disk. The webcam software takes a pic every minute and writes to this image file.

Any windows webcam will work. You can then download whatever software you want to take the pic on a schedule. I use webcam software called 'Fwink'.

I also have a webserver on my PC here , so the the pages dont need to be FTP'd to a website, they are just stored locally.

Hope all that makes sense!!

A

BTW - Longfield - can you not get broadband there? I got it here last year and it has changed my life! Now I work from home most of the time...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks artictree,

Yep that all makes sense to me thanks.

Regarding broadband, well its available around 20 yards from me, but not here......

The guy who runs wicklowbroadband said he would run a line from that building to me (the estate is one of their customers), but after many many calls later it never happened, I think he must make his money from the wireless kit. Its not a problem about permission as the building with it is attached to mine and owned by the same person who has no problem at all with them running a wire to my place (they even rang him to ask if he would connect me!!)

To say i'm gutted about this is an understatement.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Have you tried regionalbroadband? (www.regionalbroadband.ie) Thats who I'm with. Its a wireless service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

trogdor wrote:
    Yes, it's possible i think but as mothman said the software would have to provide the image. I think weather display has a feature to add in a webcam which may work alot easier but then you'd have to buy the software:(. If you have a web editing program like dreamweaver, it' very easy to edit the templates done by weather link. This is one of the templates with some modification
    http://www.brayweather.com/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm

Thats pretty neat work there Trogdor is easy on the eye. I notice you have a Noaa page there with a link to your own Weather stats I think are you uploading to there also ?

There's a new site about to be added to the boards list here soon so am fishing for ideas ;)

artictree, yep I looked into them also but alas it seems I'm too far into the sticks here :(, my best hope is that one of the mobile phone providers will put a 3g thingy on the mast here and then I'm in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Longfield wrote:
    Thats pretty neat work there Trogdor is easy on the eye. I notice you have a Noaa page there with a link to your own Weather stats I think are you uploading to there also ?

There's a new site about to be added to the boards list here soon so am fishing for ideas ;)

artictree, yep I looked into them also but alas it seems I'm too far into the sticks here :(, my best hope is that one of the mobile phone providers will put a 3g thingy on the mast here and then I'm in business.
    Yup, i upload the Noaa pages aswell, come to think of it i can probably edit those templates too, to include my links bar. Will have to have a look at that tomorrow:)

Advertisement