Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disability allowance/ college?

Options
  • 28-05-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

hey, ive applied for disability allowance because of depression, i was wondering if applying to college would affect my entitlement to it, if i get approved.

well, actually i applied back in december '05, and after a very long wait, they rejected it on the grounds that im not suffering from a serious enough disability that has continued, or would be expected to continue, for at least a year, so i lodged an appeal, and theyre only getting around to seeing me again about it, (tomorrow),
    but in the mean time, i applied to college last year, as a mature student, got a place, but couldnt complete firstyear because of my depression/ anxiety/ panic attacks,
    so im wondering will i mention the fact that i couldnt attend college, as something that might help my case, or will it just complicate things beyond belief??

other info, been out of work since jan 05, applied for the dole august 05, but i hadnt been working, or seeking work, so was told to apply for DA,
    and would i have been entitleds to the dole as a mature student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

i was wondering if applying to college would affect my entitlement to it, if i get approved.

I work in the area of disabilities and as far as i am aware, applying for college shouldnt affect your application for DPMA. From my experience its usually only other forms of income that will affect an application or an existing claim, as in if someone is already getting DPMA payments and they take up a job then depending on how much they earn it may reduce the amount of DPMA they are allowed to claim, or cancel it out altogether...

For example myself. If i am out of work sick with something long term and the period goes beyond what my companys sick pay scheme offers then i would be entitled to DPMA. Whether or not i apply to college / start college etc... shouldnt have any bearing on it. In fact the people who process the applications probably wouldnt even know that you have applied to college unless you made them aware of it.

Thats my take on it anyway, obviously not all cases are identical and you cant apply the same blanket rules to everyone but from my current knowledge thats what i reckon.

Blanket Head

Advertisement