Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus stop at Parkgate Street

Options
  • 28-05-2007 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey all,

Does anybody know why the bus-stop on Parkgate street (heading towards town) is not in use anymore? Dublin Bus changed the layout of the stop a few months back and started using it again, but now it's not used at all and you have to go down onto Wolfe Tone Quay to get a bus.
    Anyone know the reason for this?!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ur best bet here is to contact Dublin City Council`s Quality Bus Network office.
    Dublin Bus themselves have NO input into the actual design or orientation of the Bus Stops.

There are,however several recent examples of SERIOUSLY deficient Bus Stop design and construction which it appears nobody is prepared to accept responsibility for.

Ever since the Wellington Quay disaster there has been a marked reluctance on the part of Any entity to step forward and accept responsibility for Bus Stop location and construction.

It is indeed a very odd situation and one which merits further investigation..... :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

The previous set-up was in a lane of its own, plus a green light for buses only, which would show several seconds before the one for the other traffic, giving buses a good head-start at the junction.

The bus driver unions felt the new design was unsatisfactory. Buses were having to pull out at an awkward angle such that the length of the bus would necessitate a swing out into the two adjacent traffic lanes (normally full of static cars waiting at the lights) to complete its manouvre. To top all that, the bus priority traffic light had disappeared!

Thank You Bazzer for that enlightening post.

Quote [Bazzer]:
    "The previous set-up was in a lane of its own, plus a green light for buses only, which would show several seconds before the one for the other traffic, giving buses a good head-start at the junction.
    [End]

So.....the original Parkgate Bus Stop alignment was functioning well from a Busdrivers perspective then ?

If this was the case what prompted DCC`s QBN office to "Improve" the setup ?

Having decided to "Improve" the location what criteria did the QBN use to arrive at the "New Improved" design ?

Did the QBN engage with any actual Bus DRIVERS who utilize the stop daily?
    (NB : SPECIFICALLY Bus DRIVERS....NOT Local or central Dublin Bus management whose actual operational knowledge of such locations tends to be somewhat limited in it`s scope).

Assuming there was some "Consultation" did the QBN at any point during the realignment seek further input from BusDrivers OR intending Pasengers on the manner in which this project was progressing ?

Was there an INDEPENDENT Health and Safety related Risk Assessment carried out on the "New Improved" design at this location ?

Given the existance of a Professional Planning department within the QBN why has the finished "New Improved" Bus Stop design at this location proven to be unusable ?

Is there any INDIVIDUAL within DCC/QBN with Responsibility for the finished product at this location ?

What mechanism exists to compensate Dublin Bus for the considerable loss of Business due to the QBN`s works at this location ?

What mechanism exists to compensate prospective Bus Users for the considerable inconvienence due to the QBN`s works at this location ?

The people await an explanation your Honour :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

bazzer wrote:
    The bus driver unions felt the new design was unsatisfactory. Buses were having to pull out at an awkward angle such that the length of the bus would necessitate a swing out into the two adjacent traffic lanes (normally full of static cars waiting at the lights) to complete its manouvre. To top all that, the bus priority traffic light had disappeared!

After talking to a driver when it was redone and the construction barriers that have just been put back up I thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AlekSmart wrote:
    The people await an explanation your Honour :eek:
    Ah sure why make bus lanes wide enough for buses anyway (the bus is on both white lines and the mirrors go further).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's all dug up again btw.

Well if you REALLY want some more photo-opportunities then get thee and thine camera over to the Inbound stretch of Bus Lane From Eglington Road to Donnybrook Garda Station.

Now the imminent rebuilding of the Old Wesley Rugby Club has necessitated a "Reorientation" of the INBOUND Bus and Cycle lane.
    The width of the combined Bus/Cycle lane has been reduced by almost a metre but BOTH remain marked and in force.

The situation is without doubt a serious worsening of the already high risk along this stretch but by all accounts it has been approved by the Professionals.

All I can say is that if this dangerous codology is what the "Professionals" are prepared to inflict upon one of our marvellous Q B C`s in an attempt to cater for the construction industry,then T21 and it`s grandiose plans count for NUTTIN !

What they have sanctioned defies logic and belief ESPECIALLY from agencies supposedly tasked with improving Road Safety.

With Dublin Buses senior management talking up their ongoing committment to Safety its difficult to see how they can continue to operate the N11 Q B C routes along this stretch without losing all credibility in this particular regard.

Certainly if I was the largest Public Transporty provider in the City and was presented with shabby,second rate,dangerous infrastructure such as this I would be terminating my services at Donnybrook Garage and suggesting that passengers take a Taxi at the expense of the City Manager,The Quality Bus Network Office and the Garda Commissioner.

As this stretch of Bus Lane is currently configured there is little doubt that a major accident is inevitable and the risk is Particularly heightened for cyclists.

I left school at 15,but I can sure recognize an unnecessarily dangerous situation when I see it and what I see along Donnybrook Road reinforces my belief in the need for a revolution :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

AlekSmart wrote:
    The width of the combined Bus/Cycle lane has been reduced by almost a metre but BOTH remain marked and in force.
    This is similar to what has happened on St John's Road West outbound at Heuston station. They've increased the size of the central reservation and that's pushing cars and trucks into the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

This is similar to what has happened on St John's Road West outbound at Heuston station. They've increased the size of the central reservation and that's pushing cars and trucks into the cycle track.
    Maybe the next step is to repaint that bit of road.. I remember reading in the papers a few months back that this stretch of road, and the middle section of the north quays, are getting a bus lane. I think the papers mentioned it was happening during the summer.. probably waiting for school to finish first. Probably just be the busses they'll be pushing into the cycle tracks then :)

Advertisement