Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Annual Rail Pass

Options
  • 28-05-2007 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an annual Irish rail ticket which I have lost.
    Irishrail tell me that they have a charge of €12 per remaining month to replace this ticket. For me thats a total of €108. Thats what it costs them to replace a piece of cardboard/plastic.

Can they justify this? Is there any other way around this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hmm. 108 euro seems like a lot for an administrative charge. It sounds to me like it might be an unfair term in a consumer contract.

You would need to take this up with the office of the director of consumer affairs. Be sure to say that you consider this to be an unfair term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

pleba wrote:
    Hi,

I have an annual Irish rail ticket which I have lost.
    Irishrail tell me that they have a charge of €12 per remaining month to replace this ticket. For me thats a total of €108. Thats what it costs them to replace a piece of cardboard/plastic.

Can they justify this? Is there any other way around this?

Thanks

They are under no obligation to replace the ticket at all. For all they know you could have given it to a mate or sold it down the pub.

If you had bought say I-pod and lost it a few months later would you expect the electronics shop to give you another one for free?

Do you have home contents insurance? You could try claiming on that although I would be surprised if they would pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

John R wrote:
    They are under no obligation to replace the ticket at all. For all they know you could have given it to a mate or sold it down the pub.

If you had bought say I-pod and lost it a few months later would you expect the electronics shop to give you another one for free?

This morning I went to the information desk in Connolly station to report it.
    They told me to contact head office in Abbey street where they would cancel my old ticket and issue a new one.

It was only when I phoned Abbey Street that they told me of this charge.
    It’s an electronic ticket, which means they can and should be able to cancel it.
    If you lost a Credit Card it can be cancelled immediately. Same principle should apply to this situation. I cant see why it doesn’t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

John R wrote:
    Do you have home contents insurance? You could try claiming on that although I would be surprised if they would pay out.

From experience most insurance companies won't cover them anyway.

Advertisement