Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room scheme - Need some advice

Options
  • 28-05-2007 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was renting a room until recently to an ex-friend in my apartment. We drew up an agreement between each other at the beginning saying that if she wanted out, she'd give me a week's notice and if I wanted her out I'd give her a few more weeks.

The friendship soured and she gave me 5 days notice. Then changed her mind and gave me a day's notice. She moved out 90% her stuff, started smoking in the living room (I'm a non-smoker and there is a patio she normally uses) and then laid into me. We had words in the middle of the night and she packed the rest of her stuff and left. I told her she didn't have to leave in the middle of the night several times but she was unreasonable. She said she was going to sue me for kicking her out in the middle of the night when I should have given her 4 weeks notice - I didn't do this.

Our 'contract' was breached by her to begin with and she left of her own volition. That said, should I be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should be worried about having lost a friend.

I wouldn't worry too much about the alleged breach of contract. The stakes are so small.

If you are very concerned you should seek legal advice. However I would suggest waiting until you receive correspondence from her (which you probably won't).

If it makes you feel better, write out a complete account of what happened. That might be helpful later.

Advertisement