Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law/law and german

Options
  • 27-05-2007 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm doing my leaving cert and having postponed all major decisions for as long as possible I'm starting to look into what I want to do next year. I love debating and english and want to keep up a language if possible. I have heard various rumours that law and german is hard, but that hasn't scared me off (yet!). Wondering if the option to do a module in german with a pure law degree is available or worthwhile in UCC? And if law and german students would recommend their course?

One other thing - why choose UCC over Trinity? I live in the midlands so the distance between the two is about equal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

it is available in ucc, 10 credits german every year out of 60, dont do it though so cant tell you what its like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

hello there! im doing law and french at the moment. You have two options if you want to do a language, you can do it as a module, so pick plain law in your cao and then when you come to ucc you can pick german as a 10 credit module and do one exam in it at the end of the year. you can then decide to drop it in 2nd year and do law subjects instead or go on and do advanced german. Otherwise law and german means you would be doing what is initially a 50% law, 50% language degree for the first few years, then a year in germany and then in final year you would do slightly more law than german if you wanted to become a barrister or solicitor, or 50:50 if you didnt want these.
    I love the law part of the course. the french language element isnt great but the french literature is brilliant. there are pros and cons with erverything! the only thing id say is that you can do law and a language for first year and if you dont like it you can transfer to plain law without any hassle in 2nd year. that way youll have tested the waters and if you dont like the language or feel you prefer law, you can transfer as long as you have sufficient points for plain law.
    hope that was of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LLouise

THanks that'll be of some help! Still undecided re trinity over ucc... maybe i'll make my mind up one of these years!:rolleyes:

Advertisement