Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green tea

Options
  • 27-05-2007 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

is it meant to taste like regular tea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

No...

depending on what type you get it's meant to look and taste mostly like water, i.e. very weak, at least to your pallette (one who drinks barry's say).

My personal favourite is Gunpowder
    gunpowder.jpg

This type is caffeinated, and full of anti-oxidants. So I drink it by the pint when I'm studying. Really really does the trick. Caffeine works best for mental alertness and agility when you take small doses regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

I get all my green teas from the Chinise food Emporium behind Jervis, the bloke in there is really helpful. He also tells you about other chinise teas. I could never go back to normal tea and always carry them around with me.Just some useless info:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

is it meant to taste like regular tea?
    No, it's meant to taste like a bonfire that's been put out with buckets of cat pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

You have tried cats pee? Fairplay :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yes... after I doused a bonfire with it.
    I'd run out of green tea :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ApeXaviour wrote:
    My personal favourite is Gunpowder
    gunpowder.jpg
    +1 vote for the Gunpowder. Great stuff. I've tried a fair few green teas at this stage, but this is the only one I keep going back to.

Can be got in the Chinise food Emporium that Texas Star pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

No, it's meant to taste like a bonfire that's been put out with buckets of cat pee.
    lol

seriously. great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

dont put any milk into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No. Don't brew it too long as that can cause it to taste too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

simu wrote:
    No. Don't brew it too long as that can cause it to taste too strong.
    I like a good strong brew myself actually. I don't have so much as a pot at the moment, so usually just let the leaves sit at the bottom of the cup. Works fine, and usually the second cup is 'where its at', as they say (same leaves will usually do for two or three brews).

Talking about Gunpowder here again. I find most other green-teas a bit weak tbh.

One thing I would say is don't use boiling water. Let the just-boiled kettle sit for about half a minute before pouring it in, otherwise you'll burn the leaves and end up with a nasty bitter tasting tea.

And absolutely no milk :), it's not that sort of drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

E@gle. wrote:
    dont put any milk into it

Only in Ireland would we add milk to green-tea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well im vegan so that kind of rules milk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Try some with Jasmine for a sweeter taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Another vote for the Gunpowder! :D

I made the mistake of buying a box of green tea bags last weekend (possibly Twinings, can't rem) and they were absolutely AWFUL.....

I make my green tea in a cafetiere, just push all the leaves away to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I've only tried Tesco's green tea. I quite like it.

The only way I can get it to the right strength if I pout boiling water into a white cup and then put the teabag into it before knocking it around with the spoon 'til it looks right. I'm pretty sure there has to be a better way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You could always get a cup/mug with a strainer and a lid

http://www.korean-arts.com/tea_ware/teacup_sets_strainers/crane_cloud_mug.htm

The tea leaves are but in the strainer which dits in the cup and the water poured in the the lid but on.
    When the tea is brewed you life off the lid turn it upside down and lift off the strainer and place it on the up turned lid.

It allows for loose tea to be used with out the hassle of a pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have something similar for drinking loose-leaf tea at work. It's from Bodum and really useful.

K1790-01-md.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I have two of those. In fact using one in work now, with some Gunpowder green tea.

Must say though, I think I prefer the jasmine tea you can also get in the Asian Emporium opposite the Jervis Centre. It comes in a little green and white tin.

Advertisement