Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving and need commute car...

Options
  • 25-05-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi all, advice needed please..

I am moving out of dublin and I need a car to commute, so probably a diesel and something comfortable...

I currently have a 01 ford focus 1.6 and I dont want to spend any extra cash on the car so im thinking a straight swap would be best?

Do garages do that? or whats the best option for me otherwise?

All comments appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

passat 1.9 tdi, i cannot recommend another family realistically priced car. If you have the bucks just go for a 530d or maybe a yummy mummy 320d!!!! What is your price range,year you want etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

hmm thats the problem, I want to get one for the same money as my focus, ideally walk into a garage and swap keys with no money being changed hands, max extra i could put with it is between 500-1000, i just bought house and am tapped for cash now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What's wrong with commuting in your Focus ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If you're not planning to spend money, you'd be mad to change the car.

Keep it until you are actually upgrading, and then get a diesel if you need it.

A dealer will take on any deal that makes him a profit. Unfortunately for you, by having a car and not giving them any money, you'll lose out big time.

Don't do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

A dealer is going to give you F all in part exchange. Best bet is to sell privately and then buy or come up with a few bucks and trade in. If you want to do a direst swap, your car is worth about 10K give or take a little, then a trader will offer you maybe 8K depending on certain conditions. so now you just need a CAR FOR ABOUT 8K. my recommendation is maybe a 1.9 tdi vw bora. Not as sought ofter like the other vw's but still a good bargain car. And a 00-02 depending on certain conditions ie millage, colour etc you can get a cracking motor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

^^ W00t he sAiD 1.6 good for 35 mpg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hmm maybe im completely off here but would I not save lots of cash per week with a diesel fuel-wise? Thats my main reason for thinking of changing, comfortwise the focus is grand but obviously a bigger car would be a little smoother.

So the general concensus is to keep the car and wait til I get some cash together for upgrade?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't think a 2001 Focus is worth anywhere near 10k, and I'd be very surprised if a dealer would offer near 8k for one.

tw0nk wrote:
    Hmm maybe im completely off here but would I not save lots of cash per week with a diesel fuel-wise? Thats my main reason for thinking of changing, comfortwise the focus is grand but obviously a bigger car would be a little smoother.

So the general concensus is to keep the car and wait til I get some cash together for upgrade?

You need to do the sums, it depends on how far you're travelling, how often and the type of driving, but in general I doubt you'd save in fuel what you would lose on the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

What kind of mileage will you be doing?If you do anything from 20,000 miles per annum, you will warrant a diesel.For me it's gotta be the VAG 1.9tdi.I drive an A4 Tdi and get 700-750 out of a 60L tank which costs me in and around €61

• Advertisement
Advertisement