Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

leaking water/coolant

Options
  • 25-05-2007 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

hey lads just lookin a bit of advise here, i bought a 316 e30 in march but i only managed to get it on the road 3 days ago. now the trouble is its leakin water/coolant when i drive it, a steady trickle when ive stopped for about 10 mins. i think ive found where its comming from so ive included a few pics for ye ta have a look if ye dont mind. any idea what it is? will it be expensive?

any advise would be helpfull as ive bugger all idea about engines:o thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Not 100% sure, but that looks like the water pump to me. Shouldn't be too bad to replace, maybe you'd get one from a scrappy? On the other hand, maybe it's jsut the connections onto the pump and fluid is running along the outside of the pump. That being the case it should be a fairly simple fix, just replacing the damaged hose or coupling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea looks like the water pump :( but shouldn't cost much to put right...

Not worth getting one second hand, should be in around €30 from GSF:-
    B17005 WATER PUMP-BQ E30 316 82>88 M10 STG£21.50

A quick search of Real OEM;-
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1352&mospid=47268&btnr=11_0563&hg=11&fg=35

Its not too bad to change, obviously you'll need to drain the cooling system.

You'll then need to undo the viscus fan coupling, this usually takes a long 32mm spanner ( halfords sell these ).. as its a 316i it looks like there's plenty of room to get in at the coupling... You'll need someway of stopping the pully on the water pump from turning too, you could fabricate something, or a big screw driver works too....

i've been thinking of getting an E30 myself.. they are a lovely car... would probably get one up north....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Don't forget to clean off any traces of the old gasket before putting on the new one if you're going DIY.

Second hand definitely not worth thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

sesswhat wrote:
    Don't forget to clean off any traces of the old gasket before putting on the new one if you're going DIY.

Second hand definitely not worth thinking about.

i doubt ill attempt it myself as i dont know enough about it, but ill
    mention it to my mechanic;) , also it seems to stop leaking when it drops to a certain level,
    temps are not high either. engine ticks over nice too,
    starts first turn even when cold so im hoping its not too serious.

thanks for the help lads( this is why i love boards:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 centreofmotors

The leak is coming from your waterpump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Related hints for E30's for your problem from link below if you need them.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318ismaintenance.html#bleed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

Excellent link there andrew, ive spoken to my mechanic and he rekons ye are spot on with the water pump
    so i have her booked in for monday morn, fingers
    crossed thats the end of it. Thnx again for taking time to reply.

Advertisement