Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange keening sound

Options
  • 25-05-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Guys

Just had my car serviced and had a gearbox change as well. However, if I've driven the car for about 30 minutes and ususally at a particular speed (about 55-60 MPH) a strange keening/high pitched humming sound is coming from the engine. The nearest thing I can describe it is like a chair scraping off the ground.

The noise goes away after a while or whenever I apply the brakes or turn the steering wheel.

Any ideas? Mileage on the car is 103,000 and I last had the timing belt changed at 58,000 so I will be changing it again soon (it's a Hyundai and recommended change every 60k or so I think).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wheel bearing !

Try tp do the following.....SAFELY......when driving on a straight road , weave gently left and right and see if the noise changes. If it gets louder in one direction and almost dissapears the other then it is the bearing on the opposite side to the direction you are turning, i.e the wheel with the most weight on it.

It could also be a rear bearing, if the noise reduces when braking or is worse travelling up a hill its most likely the rear !

Why did the gearbox need changing anyway ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

I had noticed wet stains under car and thought it was oil. Mechanic looked at it and said a seal had broke and oil got into the gearbox. Will mention wheel bearing to him this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You got a new gearbox because a seal was leakinG ??

Did the actually put any oil in this new gearbox, or was it second hand, I assume it was ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I had noticed wet stains under car and thought it was oil. Mechanic looked at it and said a seal had broke and oil got into the gearbox. Will mention wheel bearing to him this weekend.

The gearbox should contain oil.

Advertisement