Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] SIPTU workers discuss terminal concerns

Options
  • 24-05-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭

I though Area 14 (basement under existing terminal) was for Ryanair only.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0524/airport.html
    SIPTU workers discuss terminal concerns
    Thursday, 24 May 2007 16:25
    SIPTU workers at Aer Lingus have been meeting at Dublin Airport to discuss workers' health and safety concerns about working in the new Area 14 terminal.

Aer Lingus said it still hopes the new terminal, which includes 25 new check-in areas, will open by tomorrow.

The terminal was due to open Tuesday, however the airline has blamed 'infrastructural issues' for the delay, while SIPTU said its staff have concerns over health and safety.

AdvertisementAer Lingus said that a number of meetings were taking place today at the airport to discuss issues around the planned opening of the terminal tomorrow.

More than 700 SIPTU Aer Lingus workers would work at the new terminal on a shift-pattern basis along with another 30 Dublin Airport Authority employees.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Victor wrote:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0524/airport.html

what H and S problems are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Victor wrote:

Ryanair refused to use it without being compensated, DAA didn't want to do that so Aer Lingus got/took it instead. Can't find a link to back that up though, sorry :)

I'm curious about what the health and safety problems could be too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Well obviously, and I'm sure the Victorians would agree with me here, the lack of sunlight in Area 14 would have an adverse and immeasurable effect on the health of SIPTU members...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nothing im sure a bit of compensation €€€€ cant fix no doubt. They should tell them to get stuffed!

The story continues:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfcwgbojkf/
    Aer Lingus is threatening to suspend 350 baggage handlers as part of the dispute over the airline's new check-in area at Dublin Airport.

The 15m 'Area 14' facility was due to open in the airport's basement last Tuesday to deal with passengers on Aer Lingus flights to the UK.

However, the opening was delayed after baggage handlers attached to SIPTU refused to co-operate due to health and safety concerns.

Those concerns were later addressed, but the SIPTU members are now seeking compensation for what they say is a deterioration in their working environment.

Area 14 can handle around 11,000 passengers and is designed to relieve some of the congestion from the check-in area on the ground floor of Dublin Airport.

Aer Lingus says it plans to open the facility this morning and will suspend any baggage handlers who refuse to co-operate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

It's amazing how those health and safety concerns can go away if each handler gets paid €1000. Sounds suspiciously like blackmail to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

So long as everything is working ok when I fly from Dublin on Friday :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What a load of gougers. First they claim H&S, now that there was a review of conditions and everything is safe, they want a grand each and promptions to work in another part of the building? Extrotion really. I hope they come to their senses and do the job they're meant to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It's amazing how those health and safety concerns can go away if each handler gets paid €1000. Sounds suspiciously like blackmail to me.

Sounds like they are just following Mick O'Leary's lead on this one, he seemed to think compensation was justified too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

John R wrote:
    Sounds like they are just following Mick O'Leary's lead on this one, he seemed to think compensation was justified too.

I'm pretty sure O'Leary would be happy to fan the flames to get Aer Lingus staff out on strike. Any links for that btw.

• Advertisement

Finally found an article explaining what it is the unions are objecting to.
    SIPTU claims the move to the basement represents an erosion in its members’ working environment, maintaining the new space is not purpose-built and is noisier, hotter and more congested.

Shop stewards at the airport have sought a €1,000 compensation claim for members for the move.

However, the airline has said it is determined to open the new facility after the Health and Safety Authority (HAS) certified it as fit to work in.

Enda Corneille, Air Lingus commercial director, said the airline has adhered to all the concerns of the HAS and stressed it will not be forced to pay staff extra to work in the facility.

“They are the experts and they have certified it fit for purpose,” he said.

“There’s adequate ventilation and air conditioning.

“But after all of that we get landed with a very cynical claim that for 1,000 euro per head increase in salary, and a number of promotions – and we are saying enough is enough.

“We’ve gone through process on this, our customers deserve a better level of service, and we are determined to open the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In similar news, i read yesterday that SIPTU in Cork Airport are kicking up stink because the security staff don't have their own, separate, canteen in the new terminal! Apparently they spend their lunch break discussing highly sensitive security matters or something... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0528/airport.html?rss
    Dublin airport terminal row is resolved
    Monday, 28 May 2007 22:10
    A row over the relocation of a new basement check-in area at Dublin airport has been resolved.

Aer Lingus baggage loaders had refused to move to the new zone, known as Area 14, arguing that their working conditions would be diminished. They had sought an extra €1000 a year each in compensation.

Aer Lingus refused to pay any compensation and threatened to suspend loaders who failed to relocate today.

AdvertisementAfter five hours of meetings between Chief Executive Dermot Mannion and staff, an agreement was reached where the loaders will begin operations in Area 14 tonight but will receive no financial compensation.

A review process will be set up to monitor any staff concerns regarding health and safety.

From this evening, all Aer Lingus flights from Dublin to the UK will check in through Area 14 and ultimately long-haul flights will also be processed there.

The first flight to depart from the new zone will be flight 192 to Heathrow departing at 8.15pm tonight.

Advertisement