Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coliaste Dhuligh Film Production Course

Options
  • 24-05-2007 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone hear on boards has studied the film production course at Colaiste Dhuligh I was thinking about applying for it any feedback regarding it would be great.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Didnt study there, but we get students over from their course at our workplace on work experiance quite a bit.

the main thing going for the college as far as I remember is the equipment they have.

They got a studio, a bloody excellent Hi Def jv Camcorder and nice editing set up.

they also offer something in the last year (not 100% on this) where you travel over to the uk to do your final year.

It seems to push pratical first over theory which to a lot of people is not a bad thing at all.

I dont know how they are with equipment use etc, honestly if they give you a bit of free time with it, then its an excellent choice if you want to build up your portfolio with your own work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I attend (or rather did, just finished) Colaiste Dhulaigh, but do Interactive Media, not Film Production, but the courses overlapped a bit, we made 4 short films throughout first year. As Blitz said the equipment is decent, good editing suites and a batch of 3chip cams. Again I think there is a fair bit more theroy than practice, but you do make several films throughout the duration.

The English link is with Wolverhampton and in my course you get the option of applying for advanced entry into the univeristy there which you are almost guarenteed to get. In my case I have applied to do the 3rd and final year of the Interactive Media course over there which will mean I will get a diploma from Dhulaigh and also a Degree from my year in England. There is also the option of applying for advanced entry into DCU but afaik you need to get exceptional results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I did the film production course in Dhulaigh, it really is a good course. It's all practical, a little theory and they have excellent equipment and editing suites (Canon XM2 miniDV cameras [never saw a jvc!] and Final Cut Pro editing suites).

Wolverhampton is the 3rd level institution option to get to degree level - I didn't do it myself. Having a degree over a diploma means little in this business. It's all about experience, which you will get plenty of in Dhulaigh.

Don't know what else to say, any questions just ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

cheers for the info lads.
    Elessar I am curious as to what they may be looking for in a portfolio
    as i have very little done in regards to film production and am
    currently trying to scrape some things to gether to show them
    any info would be great cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Well they want to know if you're enthusiastic enough to offer you a place on the course. For my portfolio I didnt have any films or anything, but I put together a folder with

A) A well-written (i.e. two or more A4 pages) review of a movie (in my case, The Return Of The King.
    B) A sample of some writing I had published in a games magazine a few years prior.
    C) Two short film scripts
    D)A letter of recommendation from my school councellor.
    E)I think, some photographs.

They didn't even read the review. The interview lasted like, 8 minutes with me, one tutor will talk to you, asking you what films you like, what you like about them etc. and one will go through your portfolio. They were very interested in my publications. But they did also skim through the scripts.

Basically add as much as you can, make it clear that you really are interested in getting onto the course. If you can get hold of a digicam and put together a short film even better. Film making courses are getting really popular so you will have to do your best to stand out. But go anyway, I didn't think I'd make it in with what I had but I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Elessar wrote: »
    I did the film production course in Dhulaigh, it really is a good course. It's all practical, a little theory and they have excellent equipment and editing suites (Canon XM2 miniDV cameras [never saw a jvc!] and Final Cut Pro editing suites).

Wolverhampton is the 3rd level institution option to get to degree level - I didn't do it myself. Having a degree over a diploma means little in this business. It's all about experience, which you will get plenty of in Dhulaigh.

Don't know what else to say, any questions just ask me.

Done the course myself sadly didn't finish it for a few reasons, had a great first year but really hated second year. I disagree i taught it was too theory based for my liking and it really put me off(probably Elessar they were more practical in your year) plus you really need to have a strong personality couse you will be dealing with a lot of egos. Plus you really need to keep up with paperwork couse you get a lot. i would recommend it cause its a small class plus some of the tutors are fine and are willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Why_So_Serious?

I was looking too do the same course......but i been looking for night time courses instead anyone know where i can find some???

preferably in dublin somewhere

thanks too anyone who can help

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Done the course myself sadly didn't finish it for a few reasons, had a great first year but really hated second year. I disagree i taught it was too theory based for my liking and it really put me off(probably Elessar they were more practical in your year) plus you really need to have a strong personality couse you will be dealing with a lot of egos. Plus you really need to keep up with paperwork couse you get a lot. i would recommend it cause its a small class plus some of the tutors are fine and are willing to help.

Hi, I'm just curious. From your time there, what would you say the average number of the class would be? Oh, one of the interviewers was saying that there would be some screenings, is that in college? Thanks.

Advertisement