Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question

Options
  • 24-05-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Do all insurers take penalty points into account when giving quotes? I did an online quote with Hibernian and got quoted €1086 with 2 penalty points. Did another quote with the same details but said 0 penalty points and the quote was €965.
    I was told some insurers don't penalise. €120 is a bit too much too charge for having 2 points on my license.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

wouldn't have thought it was too much, the points are there to penalize you and the insurers have to take it into account.

btw, you're gonna get slated here with a question like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The way Hibernian phrase it is that they give you a 10% discount for having zero penalty points, for 1-4 points it's standard charge & after that it's a penalty of 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That not much extra at all. Certainly not enough to dissuade people getting a few in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Aren't penalty point only given for driving dangerously, and insurance is only cheap for careful drivers, so it would seem sensible to think people with points would get charged more than people without points. Even having two points should cause insurance to increase or what's the point in having them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

steve06 wrote:
    btw, you're gonna get slated here with a question like that

And there off.
    Noelie wrote:
    Aren't penalty point only given for driving dangerously, and insurance is only cheap for careful drivers, so it would seem sensible to think people with points would get charged more than people without points. Even having two points should cause insurance to increase or what's the point in having them?

I would have before agreed with the point of any points and the insurance should take it into account, but now I think the way they will allow you 2 / 4 is good as it is easy to pick up points, i.e. doing 55km/h in a 50km/h zone. Lesson should be learnt after the once.

EDIT: I don't have any points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

Noelie wrote:
    Aren't penalty point only given for driving dangerously,

What about the points for not having your license in the car with you? As they are points it will affect your premium .. but you are not a more dangerous driver just because you left you license at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Noelie, Steve06- The point of having penalty points is not to increase insurance costs for drivers. It is to improve safety on the road. Drivers get fined when they are caught for an offence. They also run the risk of losing their license. Insurance companies just look for any way to increase profits. That is irrelevant to the original point.
    Why does my question have to move in this direction? There seems to be too many perfect drivers posting in this forum. I dont mind if I have to pay a bit extra though. I was just looking for an answer to the question- do many insurers penalise for having 2 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kc66 wrote:
    do many insurers penalise for having 2 points?

No, put they reward you for having none as said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

whippet wrote:
    What about the points for not having your license in the car with you? As they are points it will affect your premium .. but you are not a more dangerous driver just because you left you license at home?

Many insurance companies will ask you what the points were for. For example points gotten for not wearing seatbelt would get you less of a loading than points for dangerous driving.

Advertisement