Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a VW Camper

Options
  • 24-05-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I am looking for some advice regarding where the best place is to get my hands on a VW van.
    I have been looking through Autotrader.co.uk and am wondering if there is anywhere in Ireland to get one or if there are any other sources in the UK?
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Lex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

Depends on what age camper you are looking for..

If it is a modern one then check out he motorhome suppliers listed in this forum.

If you are after a classic VW van like a splitscreen, bay window or aeven a T3 then you could check out

www.eircooled.com

www.nboc.org.uk

www.cosyclassics.ie

www.krazykombis.ie

www.type2ireland.org

and there are more:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

folkswagen wrote:
    Krazy Kombis can be found at www.krazykombis.com

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Youngza

Thanks guys, appreciate your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

I know someone selling a watercooled Hi-top T3, I think it's an '86.
    He's asking €5k

• Advertisement

Thanks Joe, I'm looking for a 70's Bay Window or Westy in particular, (preferably with a pop-top too)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lots of people will disagree with me, but are you sure you want a bay?

Have you driven one before? Or is just the looks that you're after ...

The old bay was designed in the late 60's and it really does show in today's traffic. The engines (while tough) are slow and thirsty, the suspension is bouncy and a bit iffy round corners and by now rust can be a major issue.

If you haven't driven one before, be sure that you get an extended test drive that involves a hill climb and also make sure that you bring someone along who is "in the know" about these yokes.

It's all too easy to get swept away by their charm and end up buying a bottomless moneypit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

you can't beat a bay for charm and character though:D :D:D

We all love what we have ourselves I suppose:D

The only problem is that love sometimes makes you blind :D

The somewhat less charming T3 or LT makes it easier to distance yourself and cast a cool eye on the faults (of which there can be plenty)

Generally speaking, this VW camper craze is close to getting out of hand ...whatever model you're after.

Really good ones by now fetch such astronomical sums, that quite a few unscroupulous sellers want to catch a ride on the gravy train and chance their arm selling what are mobile parts carriers (at best!) for hefty sums.

Be careful, cool and calm when buying (and prepared to walk away) is all I'm saying.

Thanks guys, choosing the 70's bus is certainly based on character and looks Peasant, although you do paint a dim view that does concern me.
    I'd hope if I was to be patient and wait for the right one then happy days but there is always the nagging doubt that I could get a turkey.
    What would be your preference for a camper with circa €12000 to spend?

• Advertisement

Well ...you can ALWAYS get a turkey, no matter what you buy ...VW or otherwise.:D

From a sheer functionality point of view, for 12 k I'd try to get a converted Mercedes 3-5 ton van or a converted Iveco Daily. They are robust, with strong, durable engines, RWD and twice as much space as a VW, with the posibility of fitting a bathroom and proper water system...and available for that kind of money.

Sub-zero rating in the charm stakes though :D and a bit of a beastie in the handling and "park anywhere" department.

At the end of the day it very much depends on what YOU want out of your camper.

Do you want a small, cool, cult vehicle that also serves as a tin-tent on the occasional weekend/holiday spent mostly on campsites...

Or do you want a camper that has the capability to carry all the water, waste water and electric capacity that you need for a good few days of independence out on your own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Youngza, don't lose faith!

Bear in mind that most of the bay windows on the road will have been restored at least once in their lifetimes, if not twice or more.

If you do your homework and find one that has been cared for, it'll last another 30 years or so ;) Not many modern vehicles could stand up to that I'd wager.

By one from a reputable trader, such as Krazykombis or similar, and it will be gone over, top to bottom before its let out to you.

There's no reason why a bay can't rival a 'modern' motorhome in the independence stakes. Mine can take me wildcamping for 5-days plus before I need to start looking for somewhere to empty my grey tank and refil my white tank. The cheap addition of a solar shower above the tailgate and there'd be no need to look for swimming baths (showers) either. Mine is a T25, but there's nothing fitted on mine there, with regard to the water or 12v system, that couldn't be fitted to a Bay.
    A friend's 1968 bay is kitted out so well on 12v (lots and lots of in-line batteries), that he can pretty much run many 240v appliances, and be electricty independant for a loooooong time. He said he's never actually managed to run it right down, never stayed out long enough.... He puts any 'modern' motorhome to shame with regards to electrical independence. OK, so his bus is the exception rather than the rule, but it shows what can be done with these 'old yokes' :D
    If thirst is a problem, get an LPG conversion, LPG filling stations are slowly popping up all over Ireland, and you'll find them well placed all over Europe too.
    With regards to speed. Every bay I've travelled with holds its own with regard to the speed limits. And chances are whenever you're driving it you're on holiday, whats the rush anyway ;)

BUT...lots of folks are cashing in the rise in popularity, and asking stupid money for 'fashionable' rust buckets. Do lots of homework, then do some more....then take someone who knows about these buses out to look with you. You want to buy an investment that will appreciate in value, not a moneypit ;)

Advertisement