Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turning cracked wood!

Options
  • 23-05-2007 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

hi everyone,
    I come across a good few cracked bits of timber when chosing for turning, and i was wondering did anyone here get good results from cracked timber, or is it just really dangerous?
    thanks for any comments,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've seen cracked timber in mags etc that are used as a feature, burned etc, looks nice. If the crack is big and wide I wouldn't chance it, one catch with a chisel and it could take your eye out. If their small cracks, after turning you could fill any that are left with superglue and sawdust and then sand, but if you suspect that the struture of the wood is damaged, like the crack running completly through the piece, from face to face, then I'd say it was risky.

Advertisement