Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house - it seems impossible

Options
  • 23-05-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Me and 3 friends are looking for a house near city centre and dit bolton st, as far out as Phibsboro. So far we've only looked at 1 place which had a dozen or so people waiting outside to look at it and it was taken before we even got near the door.

We've been browsing daft several times a day and bought the herald a few times, let.ie doesnt seem to be of much use either. Are we doing something wrong? Is it not the right time of the year? We figured with college finishing up there would be lots of place freeing up which doesn't seem to be the case.

I know we might find it hard to get a place being students and all but at 400euro pm we can all afford accomodation.

Any advice or hint or maybe even a house for us?

Jozi

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Accomodation in Dublin is very expensive and often hard to come by very close to town esp for 1600pm.

How many bedrooms are you looknig for in the house?

It might be worth looking a little further out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 minicin

I completely understand your pain. Myself and 4 other friends were trying for about 3 months to rent a four bedroom apartment/house/anywere. It was impossible, everywere we looked at was tiny or overpriced. We finally found a house we could just about afford in Harolds Cross. We went to the viewing and there was about 20 other people looking at it. The estate agent said we should fax our references through to her and she and the landlord would make a decision. We made it down to the last 5 and were pipped at the post by a group of 3 people who wanted the house and given the excuse three people is better then 4 to the landlord. To top it all off we are four professionals. We eventually had to settle for the tiniest apartment in the world in Rathmines that is cheap but not liveable for long. The general advice I have been getting is find somewere quick and keep looking to see if anything else comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I dont think looking futher out is a option really. We all want to be close to college (bolton st), we had Phibsboro and drumcondra in mind or at least that sort of distance. None of us are to familiar with the different area's on the south side that would be just as far away from college (ie 20 mins walk).

It's seems there are plenty single rooms avail in already occupied places with others. The main reason we all want to live in the same place is we will all have the same sort of schedule troughout the year and none of us want to live in a crazy busy house (the reason im looking for a new place to start with) as its out final year in college.

As for how many rooms, 4 rooms - a room each with a max of 400euro pm, which in it self is possible if we each look for a room and not a whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The problem too is that because you are students, you are basically expected to pay a premium.

Phibsboro is not very far out. I think you are being unrealistic and that you will have to look further afield.

You might find a single room at that rate, but likely the rent will go up within a couple of months anyway.

Anyway, keep trying, you will find something.

Even houses in Phibsboro are expensive I would say you would be hard pushed to find a four bed house for 1600 anywere within walking distance of town. You may need to go even further or two of you could share a room its really tough at the moment best bet is to set up daft.ie email alerts and hope one will come up! Our budget was 550 each and we even found it tough to find something!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe put an ad on daft yourselves looking for a place?

1600 for a 4 bed beside town isn't alot,

1600 for a four bed while it wouldnt be alot right now you would be lucky to get a three bed beside town for that money if you look at daft its actually so hard well for us I know it definately was!

I've been living in Phobsboro for the last 2 years and wouldnt like to move further away, its convenient to college and shops nearby with town a 20min walk. The others are of the same opinion.

I myself wouldnt like to share a room and doubt the others feel any different about it.

Would it be easier to find a 5 bedroom or even 3 bedroom place (400per room) than 4?

It is possible 1600pm for 4 rooms, we seen (nearly) a place for that much which was no more than 5-10mins to college, if even, but it was gone within no time.
    This place looked very nice, 1st letting after being refurbished.

Anyway ive just setup email alerts for 3 and 4 bedroom places, let the waiting begin.

Its not impossible its really just luck and being the first person there with references and deposit! Good luck with it!

It's not just luck. If you are students you just aren't going to get the cheapest deals. Students pay extra, not less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Try looking in Drumcondra ,Clontarf, Finglas,Glasnevin, Santry which are all close enough to Bolton Street by bus/bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Most landlords will prefer professionals over students so if it's you and your friends against some professionals I doubt you'll be chosen

It's unfair but that's the way it works and I'm sure the OP can understand why

I think even glassnevin is to far from town to walk, i dont really have the patience to wait or have to rely on busses.

All 4 of us are working in dublin as well over the summer, maybe we can tell a little lie for the sake of getting a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Few more sites to check out:

www.let.ie
    www.myhome2let.ie
    www.findahome.ie
    www.gumtree.ie

Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

problem is there isn't many places that big close to the city, simple as.

3 or 4 people could find a 2 or 3 bed big enough to share handy enough I'd imagine...

You're gonna have to compromise if you want to be walking distance to city centre and four students, and 3-4 bedrooms, and also for a relatively affordable price. Up your budget, be flexible with your options - it's tough no doubt

Nordie wrote:
    Few more sites to check out:

www.let.ie
    www.myhome2let.ie
    www.findahome.ie
    www.gumtree.ie

Thanks for them, didnt know about the 2 i made bold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Most of cabra is right next to Phibsboro so worth bearing in mind. Also look at Broadstone which gets listed under a separate heading in most listings but is actually right next to Phibsboro.,

Check out areas Dublin 1, 7 & 9 they are all in the vicinity of the College.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How about an apartment? check out around smithfield, there are even houses around there so some might be for rent.
    Might i suggest finding somewhere on the red luas line? Much better than a bus and it stops very close to Bolton street.

Which South side post codes should i be searching, just across the Liffey?

Smithfield is defo an option but nothing has come up on daft for that area yet (not in our price range at least).

• Advertisement

Check out the following website for info on the Luas Line. The Red Line stops at Smithfield which would be handiest to you. The nearest areas to the Liffey on the southside are Dublin 2 & 8

http://www.luas.ie

Hope this is of some help to you.

Aren't 2 and 8 gonna be a lot more expensive than the Northside areas? Going out the Luas might be more workable.

Advertisement