Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicy or not?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 11:32pm

Well, brethren, just like Ronseal's new "Fake tan in a can", this is just to find out how spicy you all like your food. I'm mad for the spiciness meself and have taken to putting chilli flakes / cayenne pepper / mustard / actual chillies on everything. (Popcorn with salt, pepper, chilli and butter is the food of the gods).

Having a bowl of noodles?........throw in a chilli or 2!!
    Fried eggs?............................not without pepper + chilli flakes.

Thought of this thread idea via the Pizza thread. That Domino's level 3 thingy was alright but could've been spicier.

It's gotten to the stage where I'm going overboard, and going for hotness over taste (can you say VINDALOO?). Whenever i go into any of the Chinese places on Parnell St., I just ask for the hottest thing on the menu, only extra hot please.

Yourselves?

Hot or not? 46 votes

No thanks, plain for me. I also like the colour grey.
    0% 0 votes
    A little bit is ok. Nothing hotter than a Thai Curry for me thanks.
    8% 4 votes
    Spicy all the way, baby, I can handle it.
    28% 13 votes
    I keep the jax rolls in the fridge. (Abdul's revenge)
    63% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Vindaloos are for wimmin. Next time you're in an Indian, ask for a phal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

More of a medium-hot myself. Anything too spicy and I vomit, like a wimp.

Berate me, people, berate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I like it hot...

...but there have been times when I would have loved to have had a few ice cubes handy when dropping off :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

5 alarm chilli works wonders for your insides :D

Spicy is good in my book. Someone produced abottle of "Death Sauce" at a recent bbq. The hottest thing I ever came across (food wise). The smallest drop onto your smallest finger and a dab on your tongue meant 2 hours of complete numbness all around your mouth :eek:

ds_sauce_original_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Better to burn out than fade away. I like my food to fight back - phal vindaloo is the Russian roulette of curry (there is a good chance it will blow your head off) but you have to go to Glasgow to get a good one....

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Chili on fried eggs??? I'm sorry brother but I enjoy the taste of the food I eat, and if everything tastes the same, well where's the fun in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Remember now, if its hot going in, its going to be hot coming out. And I prefer not to have a ringpiece like a map of Japan.

That said, I like a kick to my food, but I don't want to have to wear an Asbestos gob while eating it. So medium hot is about as hot as I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A little bit, good for clearing up my blocked sinuses these days. Time for that reheated Kung Pao chicken. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

smashey wrote:
    Vindaloos are for wimmin. Next time you're in an Indian, ask for a phal.

If you can find a restaurant that does it. Been in loads of Indian restaurants, if I see one, I make a point of eating there sort of job, and tbh most places just don't do it. Any indian I've been in outside Ireland (bar one) did it though. Hell, there are a good few Indian restaurants down here in Limerick that don't even do vindaloo!!

I like it hot, at least a madras! I find chinese food doesn't really compete with indian for taste, or spicyness for that matter. Perhaps just me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thai food rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Spicy is good in my book. Someone produced abottle of "Death Sauce" at a recent bbq. The hottest thing I ever came across (food wise). The smallest drop onto your smallest finger and a dab on your tongue meant 2 hours of complete numbness all around your mouth :eek:
    No self-respecting Brother should be unfamiliar with The Scoville Scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

The hottest rating of the scale is 16,000,000. To put it in context, Tabasco Sauce is rated between 2,500 and 5,000.

There is only one sauce rated at 16,000,000 and that's "Blair's 16 Million Reserve". It costs about €500 a bottle and will kill you if ingested in any large quantity:

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/

Personally, I like a bit of Jamican Hot/Scotch Bonnet with a sausage, as for anything else my stunt-eating days are well and truely over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I like spicy stuff. Those chilli flakes are great. I usually sprinkle them on to chicken curry to really spice it up. I love those sliced jalapeno peppers - man they are spicy.

I'm fortunate to have a Mexican sister in law who loves to cook - some of those spicy dishes are amazing. Nothing like home cooked Mexican in Dublin :D

Apparently, the Mexicans swear by the theory that beer is one of the best things for relieving the chilli sensation. So loads of chilli followed by copious amounts of beer................ That's my kinda meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nominee for mis-quote of 2007:
    Stky10 wrote:
    Remember now, if its hot going in, its going to be hot coming out. And I prefer not to have a ringpiece like a map of Japan.

If you had an ärse like a map of Japan - you should definitely see a proctologist as a matter of great urgency.

If you had an ärse like a japanese flag - you should stick to a korma. :p

Jeeze - The Viz-readers are misquoting Roger's Thesaurus now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia

*Runs for cover* It's gonna blow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hill Billy wrote:
    Nominee for mis-quote of 2007:

If you had an ärse like a map of Japan - you should definitely see a proctologist as a matter of great urgency.

If you had an ärse like a japanese flag - you should stick to a korma. :p

Jeeze - The Viz-readers are misquoting Roger's Thesaurus now. :rolleyes:

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The ol' gut can't take it as hot as in my younger years :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I like it hot, at least a madras! I find chinese food doesn't really compete with indian for taste, or spicyness for that matter. Perhaps just me.

Real Sechuanese food, in China (not from the take away down the road) is one of the hottest things in the world. As if the fact that it being half chilli peppers (the other half meat, veg, sauce, other spices), they put full sechuan pepper corns into the mix. You will taste nothing else for weeks afterwards.

Thai spicy salad is also one not to be missed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I remember the days when I was so cowardly I would baulk at even a mild curry. Now though I am delighted to see foods and dips etc come with Jalapenos. I can't do anything hotter than a hot madras still though. My wimp level is still present sadly.

Fear not, brother 5-star. A madras (if ordered from the right establishment) is well up there on the scale of spiciness and there are men far less manly than your good self who wouldn't be able to lick your plate when you were finished without exploding into a ball of flame.

I have since curbed my penchant for piquancy, and have reverted back to madras (with a madras naan) due to it's superior taste. Well, actually due to the fact that you can actually taste it.

As regards phaal, I've only ever had one once and don't think it was the real deal. 'Twas on holidays in Turkey and had one in an Indian restaurant. Thought it was ridiculously hot (this was before i'd ever had a vindaloo) but a Glaswegian who was in our hotel scoffed when i told him about it. Apparently, he
    "woud'nae gie tha' tae a Bairn.....fer fear he might think ah wuz insultin 'im"

How i look back in shame at it now :o

I've made a very fiery chilli this evening. Look out for "major fish kill" on the 10am news tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've made a very fiery chilli this evening. Look out for "major fish kill" on the 10am news tomorrow.

Did you ring Ringsend to warn them it's on its way? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

My doctor told me to stop eating so much spicy food. He told me I had "sludge in my gallbladder" from it. Whatever that means!

If you ever give to the midwest US check out Buffalo Wild Wings. They have a type called "blazin" that you should have to sign a release for. I ate 16 of 18 wings on a dare. It took about four pitchers of beer to quench the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I like a bit of heat. Vindaloo I find pointless, its so hot, I can't actually taste much of anything after the first forkful or two.

Mad a curry for myself and the wife this evening. Used one chili minus pith and seeds. Could taste the delicious curry with just a tingle of hotness. That's my level.

Unfortunately I just went after a problematic snot, and it turns out I still have some chili on my fingers from when I was cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Unfortunately I just went after a problematic snot, and it turns out I still have some chili on my fingers from when I was cooking.

Here's a foodie tip of my own devising (after several incidents such as Brother RE*AC*TOR suffered above):
    When preparing a curry - always chop your onions before you chop your chillis.
    That way, if you need to wipe your watering eyes you won't burn the bejaysus out of them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

crosstownk wrote:
    I like spicy stuff. Those chilli flakes are great. I usually sprinkle them on to chicken curry to really spice it up. I love those sliced jalapeno peppers - man they are spicy.

I'm fortunate to have a Mexican sister in law who loves to cook - some of those spicy dishes are amazing. Nothing like home cooked Mexican in Dublin :D

Apparently, the Mexicans swear by the theory that beer is one of the best things for relieving the chilli sensation. So loads of chilli followed by copious amounts of beer................ That's my kinda meal.

I'm with you! Mexican spiciness is much tastier than Indian IMO. Anything with jalapenos keeps me happy! But not the strangely de-spiced ones that come in a jar, with the Old El Paso brand. Not cool. :mad:

Advertisement