Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK import car - When i get irish plates, can i get a "golden" number?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

UK import car - When i get irish plates, can i get a "golden" number?

When i go to the VRO and pay my VRT on a uk import... do they just issue the next number for that year, or can i get a golden number?

(like if the car is 1.8, can i ask to get "XX - D - 18000" etc.)

Am i dreaming, or is it a case that you can pay a bit extra for a golden number, or even slip the VRO officer a few quid? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

i think they only hold back 0 to 500 numbers as 'golden numbers' and i think there about €500.
    i dont think you can pay for anyother number.
    if you just go into they will give you the next number on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

:D:D It'll cost you €315 you can get any age appropriate number which hasn't yet been issued (prior to the current highest number that is.)

Details here

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You can, as long as the golden number is still available. Just bear in mind that certain numbers may cause problems when selling the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ctc_celtic wrote:
    i think they only hold back 0 to 500 numbers as 'golden numbers' and i think there about €500
    1-200 are automatically held. They also hold any other desireable plate especially model appropriate numbers , eg. 407, 320, 520, 911 etc. They also hold nice rounded numbers, eg. 10,000, 25,000, 50,000 and numbers like 88,888, 11,111. All numbers cost €315.

Enter the number you want here to see if it has been issued. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

dont be such a n0b i think tbh!, im sure theres more things in life to worry about than plates that tell your engine size.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Anan1 wrote:
    You can, as long as the golden number is still available. Just bear in mind that certain numbers may cause problems when selling the car.

Why? What problems?

legs11 wrote:
    dont be such a n0b i think tbh!, im sure theres more things in life to worry about than plates that tell your engine size.......:rolleyes:

AH... its only for fun, but at €315, its a bit steep!

Access wrote:
    Why? What problems?
    1337 :eek:

1337 :eek:

???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

07ke1337 is on a 1.4 seat leon, waste!!

07d1337 is on mini cooper though, much better :)

Access wrote:
    ???
    1337 ;)

quarryman wrote:

OKKKKKAAAAAAAYYYYYY... but im still at a loss to whats wrong with the number 1337?

Am i missing out on a gag here or something? :)

:rolleyes: Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can book a number, but you can't put the car on the road until that number comes up.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

If you're re-registering an old car, is there any way of getting a number that was already issued from a car that has been scrapped? How can you find which numbers are available?

(Cartell doesn't tell you from their free search whether the car is still on the road or not)

Access wrote:
    Why? What problems?
    Attitudes to golden numbers vary. Whereas one person might find, say, 07 D 330 or 3301 on a BMW 330i attractive, other potential buyers may think it quite tacky. Bit like spoilers, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

I notice that every single ** D 911 is a Porche 911, obviously some Porsche dealer can get in before 1 November to book that number or it has been booked already.

I have a BMW 325 and my number plate is 0* ** 325 - It was one of the reasons I bought it, my wife thinks its very tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

blastman wrote:
    If you're re-registering an old car, is there any way of getting a number that was already issued from a car that has been scrapped? How can you find which numbers are available?
    No.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

quarryman wrote:

Much better pity it isnt on a pre 2001 mini though much cooler.

• Advertisement

Much better pity it isnt on a pre 2001 mini though much cooler.
    That number will never, ever, be cool.;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Whereas one person might find, say, 07 D 330 or 3301 on a BMW 330i attractive, other potential buyers may think it quite tacky
    "Quite tacky" is an understatement - I think it's very tacky and would totally put me off buying such a car.
    Linford wrote:
    ]I have a BMW 325 and my number plate is 0* ** 325 - It was one of the reasons I bought it, my wife thinks its very tacky.
    Your wife speaks words of wisdom Linford. Listen to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Don't have one of these type regs but I would hardly call it tacky. I think Italics and fancy scripts on number plates are tacky but the actual numbers themselves cannot be considered tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Don't have one of these type regs but I would hardly call it tacky. I think Italics and fancy scripts on number plates are tacky but the actual numbers themselves cannot be considered tacky.

I agree. Having the model number on a reg makes the car that little bit more special.

It's all down to taste, really. The main point, though, is that such registrations will put some potential purchasers off the car when the time comes to sell. As I said earlier, it's like spending money on a spoiler - you have to like it enough yourself to make it worth the potential resale problems.

Advertisement