Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Out This Week + Problem With The Sofa

Options
  • 22-05-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Myself and the missus are moving out of our apartment this week. When we moved in first the landlord bought a new 3 piece leatherette set. About a week ago I sat down in the sofa and one of the springs went 'pop'. Now there is a noticeable depression in one of the seating spaces.

I would class it as normal wear and tear as it's not like we were jumping up and down on the sofa, it simply happened after someone (me) sat down in it.

With moving out this week I'm a little concerned that he might try to use this as an issue to hold onto more of the deposit than he should.

What do you folks think?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eo980 wrote:
    Hey Folks,

Myself and the missus are moving out of our apartment this week. When we moved in first the landlord bought a new 3 piece leatherette set. About a week ago I sat down in the sofa and one of the springs went 'pop'. Now there is a noticeable depression in one of the seating spaces.

I would class it as normal wear and tear as it's not like we were jumping up and down on the sofa, it simply happened after someone (me) sat down in it.

With moving out this week I'm a little concerned that he might try to use this as an issue to hold onto more of the deposit than he should.

What do you folks think?

Would it depened on when he bought the sofa?

If it was yesterday then you probably owe him. If it was 5 years ago then maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

kearnsr wrote:
    Would it depened on when he bought the sofa?

If it was yesterday then you probably owe him. If it was 5 years ago then maybe not.

We moved into the apartment a year ago and we're not renewing the lease. I don't see how we could be held responsible for the sofa as it 'went' when someone sat into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

is the sofa under warranty?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eo980 wrote:
    We moved into the apartment a year ago and we're not renewing the lease. I don't see how we could be held responsible for the sofa as it 'went' when someone sat into it.

But is it genearl wear and tear if a sofa "went" after a year when it has a desing life of 5 years?

I'm just saying what the landlord might say

subway wrote:
    is the sofa under warranty?

That's a good point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

If the sofa was recently purchased then it would be a manufacturing fault, the spring should not go so quickley and should withstand the weight of people sitting on it. If the sofa was a few years old it would come under general wear & tear. Sounds like it was an inexpensive sofa being leatherette and wouldn't be so durable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

eo980 wrote:
    That's a good point!
    it should be if its less than a year old

Nordie wrote:
    If the sofa was recently purchased then it would be a manufacturing fault, the spring should not go so quickley and should withstand the weight of people sitting on it. If the sofa was a few years old it would come under general wear & tear. Sounds like it was an inexpensive sofa being leatherette and wouldn't be so durable.

Not that I'm saying it has been but if you abuse the sofa no matter how good it was made it will break

kearnsr wrote:
    Not that I'm saying it has been but if you abuse the sofa no matter how good it was made it will break

But it wasn't abused. It was sat in, it's intended purpose.

eo980 wrote:
    But it wasn't abused. It was sat in, it's intended purpose.

Sorry that was directed at Nordie not you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Most landlords will take money for it, regardless.

Can you not put a cushion over the depression or something? Don't, whatever you do, mention it to him. He might not even see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

kearnsr wrote:

I did state "it should withstand the weight of people sitting on it" I did not mention "abuse".

kearnsr wrote:

Ahh right. It has two small cushions that came with it, so I'll be doing my best to disguise it with them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

if he finds the problem and sees that you tried to hide it, it makes you look guilty.

Advertisement