Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Restaurant??

Options
  • 22-05-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Ok What is the best indian restaurant in Galway?? I heard that Kashmir is good but what about the rest. I heard decent reports about the one in Oranmore, has anyone been to this??

Also there is one in Athenry now I think has anyone gone there and if so what do they think.

Any help and comments are welcome. Also is there any need to book a table for a sunday night?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tulsi on Buttermilk Walk is good.

I've heard good things about the Clay Oven on Flood St but haven't been there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

My favourite is the one across from the Thai Gardens, near Jury's Hotel - can't remember the name though. The service there isn't the best, but the food is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Been into Tulsi recently.

Will go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Actually I've never been to a bad one in town, but Kashmir is the favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I've been to 3 and all good, one across the road from Bizaar, one around the corner from that and one just off Middle Street beside the hemp shop.
    The one just across from Bizaar has an older feel about it which I like, the others don't have much personality. I think the one just off Middle St has the best food if I remember but there's not much in it.
    And yes Thai Garden is the best in Galway but it's Thai of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

The Tulsi on middle street is only smashing. Myself and herself have been to a few in the city, this would be our favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

I can swear by the Santoor in Oranmore, small but the food is fantastic and they sometimes throw in a free starter ...without even asking, failing that an appertiff like Sambuca at the end of your meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Kashmir is nice but not all that cheap (But having said that probably none of the Indians are)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

Kashmir definitely, If out the west there is a good one in Moycullen, up beside SuperValue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

My favourite is Eastern Tandori in Spanish Parade,
    the one on Oranmore beside Supermac's is excellent, and the one in Athenry is very good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Not a big fan of Indian food myself, but I believe that Tulsi has also won a plethora of awards over the years. Have heard excellent things about both them and Kashmir.

Does anyone remember when the Clay Oven was Shamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

don't go there. Long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

This is all a great help. Much appreciated thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Fey! wrote:
    Shamas?
    God, do you remember that place - it was an excuse to sell bottles of wine after hours to teenagers, and a health hazard as well. It was an awful kip, but I often ended up there at three in the morning with curry withdrawal symptoms...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

Sargam in Moycullen is good too, go there a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

Ended up in Shamas in the earlier hours of the morning after 2 work xmas parties - was a great place to get alcohol at 3 in the morning.

Eastern Tandoori around the corner from it is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

Fey! wrote:
    Does anyone remember when the Clay Oven was Shamas?

Ah yes, good times! That guy who owned it really scared me. Remember the big fat guy, bear in mind i was only about 8 at the time. He was dead on though.

I really can't say wich Indian is better but i think if i was pushed I would say Kashmir or Tulsi. The one in Moycullen is excellent as well but that bit out of the way. If you're out that side though, well worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

He used to come into KnoKnos in the dirty teashirt and baseball cap, and only ever drank Ballygowan. Sound, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Fey! wrote:
    He used to come into KnoKnos in the dirty teashirt and baseball cap, and only ever drank Ballygowan. Sound, though!
    He has a place in Clonakilty now. Still has the baseball cap and t-shirt too. Probably still selling booze out the back door...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

Remember him in CP's a good few times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

AthAnRi wrote:
    Also there is one in Athenry now I think has anyone gone there and if so what do they think.

Curry cottage and it is superb. Better than any of the ones in Galway. They'll even make dishes that aren't on the menu (I usually order Chicken Handy - yum yum)..

Advertisement