Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Remote

Options
  • 22-05-2007 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Heres a long shot for yeah. I have multiple remote in my house and would love to be able to control everything with a universal remote. Below is a breakdown of what I would need to control:

LCD TV
    DVD Player
    NTL Digital Box
    Apple TV

Is there such a product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

You could try a Logitech Harmony Remote

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Or a cheaper One For All alternative.

I recently got a One For All Kameleon 10 in 1, though it wouldn't be in the same league as the Harmony in the link above.

You'd just need to check that the remote you choose will work with all your appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

There are cheaper alternatives for the Harmony Remote listed above. I'm using a 525 model to control Xbox360, Sky HD, TV, Surround, Switcher and DVD.

It works for a whole range of items, if you go to the website you can set up an account and check what works/doesn't. Generally if it has an IR interface, it'll work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 garyo

Sounds good guys will checkout those links out, hopefully ill get one to suit. Thanks again guys.:)

Had a look at the Logitech website and can't seem to get a list of supported devices, am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

You need to set up and account and start to set up a remote for yourself. when you go through the setup you'll find the makes and models of products supported. Or you can download the software and set up an imaginary remote.

It can be almost guaranteed that your stuff will be supported. The only two things that I noticed aren't supported by the remote are PS3 and Wii, because they use Bluetooth.

Cheers johnnyflav, will give that a go. :)

Okay, so I've decided to go with the Logitech Harmony 885 as recommended by Wizard Archer, is there anywhere that stock these in Dublin? Don't really want to go the online route, would maplins do such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

garyo wrote:
    Okay, so I've decided to go with the Logitech Harmony 885 as recommended by Wizard Archer, is there anywhere that stock these in Dublin? Don't really want to go the online route, would maplins do such a thing?
    I'm pretty sure Peats stock those, just around the corner from Maplins in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

why not online? pixmania have it €40 cheaper than peats listed price. You should have it in 2 or 3 days from pixmania.
    -Coley.

• Advertisement
    byte

Add at least €13.90 for delivery of the remote too though, from Pixmania.

For the sake of an extra few quid, I'd go to Peats. Handy in the event of it becoming faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Any one know of any retailers in Cork city who sell these?
    Logitech Harmony 885 universal remote control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK , got one of these remotes and it will not work with Sky HD at all , the device I selected was Satellite , Thomson , DSI-8215 , is that the right device ?
    It does nothing to the box at the moment , even when I go into devices and try individual buttons.

Sky HD box is a thomson by the way , and the model number on the underneath says DSI-8215 , but it doesnt come up on the logitech screen as sky HD it comes up as Thomson PVR.

byte

mathias wrote: »
    OK , got one of these remotes and it will not work with Sky HD at all , the device I selected was Satellite , Thomson , DSI-8215 , is that the right device ?
    It does nothing to the box at the moment , even when I go into devices and try individual buttons.

Sky HD box is a thomson by the way , and the model number on the underneath says DSI-8215 , but it doesnt come up on the logitech screen as sky HD it comes up as Thomson PVR.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4811752&highlight=harmony+885+skyhd#post4811752

Check that thread on AVF.

From it, apparently either PACE PRV 3000 or PACE 3100 should work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Cheers for that , did the Bskyb thing and Sky+HD and it works a treat.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I recently purchased the Harmony 895 from Komplett after reading around here on the boards, and also avforums.

I wanted to be able to stick my equipment into a cabinet out of sight, and also reduce the number of remote controls.

The 895 has the added benefit of RF, so I now have everything in a cabinet, and can change the channel from any room I've tried.

In the box you get the remote, 1 RF receiver, 4 IR connectors with dual heads which can operate 8 pieces of equipment.

I was originally looking at IR remote control extenders on there own and was looking at around 200euro for a decent set-up. The 895 seems to have sorted me out all in one go for just over that, 259euros !

I would think its worth the extra 50euro over the 885.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmmcgettrick

HI
    Unsure if this chould be a new thread or not, but I think this thread is the closest to the question am trying to answer.

My aim is to somehow put RTE1-4 (teresterial) followed by ETWN and BBC1(freetoAIR) on numbers 1-6 on a simple looking universal remote control. Ideally so that channel up and down would jump between RTE4/TG4 to EWTN and back. ( skipping from the teresterial aerial to the free to air disk). I think the buttons 4 and 5 would have to be able to send out multiple IR codes.

An alternative solution would seem to be to get a combo box but none that might allow the above to happen are recommended by saorview ( according to info@saorview.ie while others in the trade indicated that a combo box would still leave the channels on seperate menus.

Ideally I would like to solve this via a universal remote control, any advice on the simplest way to implement this would be appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cuculainn

HI
    Unsure if this chould be a new thread or not, but I think this thread is the closest to the question am trying to answer.

My aim is to somehow put RTE1-4 (teresterial) followed by ETWN and BBC1(freetoAIR) on numbers 1-6 on a simple looking universal remote control. Ideally so that channel up and down would jump between RTE4/TG4 to EWTN and back. ( skipping from the teresterial aerial to the free to air disk). I think the buttons 4 and 5 would have to be able to send out multiple IR codes.

An alternative solution would seem to be to get a combo box but none that might allow the above to happen are recommended by saorview ( according to info@saorview.ie while others in the trade indicated that a combo box would still leave the channels on seperate menus.

Ideally I would like to solve this via a universal remote control, any advice on the simplest way to implement this would be appreciated

Thanks

Just gonna bump this up cause I want to do something similar.

We have Saorview and a FTA dish. I want to be able to flick through the channels without having to physically change the input

Is this possible?

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmmcgettrick

Hi
    Ath bhliain faoi mhaise daoibh go leir

After a more recent look around, it looks like I found one answer to my previous question about being able to more easily flip between channels from different sat/aerials from one remote control.

1/
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/xoro-hrc-9000-satellite-combo-receiver-user-manual.html
    for under 100 euros
    Perhaps the best thing is that they provide some nice tutorials which enable you to decide wheather to set up the system yourself or take their package deal.

2/
    Another solution may be to combine the sat and ter signals into one cable with a box, but I would prefer to read about it before trying it. One would still have to switch remotes to switch channels from different imputs and a macro training universal remote may be more expensive than the above.

3/ The idea of using an old android phone or an apad + and TV remote app as a universal remote may be cheaper than some universal remotes. But the resultant remote would not have any haptic feedback which some people like / need to have when pressing buttons to change channels.

4/ Originally I was thinking about an iphone but the iphone does not do infra red.

Conclusion while solutions 1 above is still not my ideal,it very close and it is do-able.
    The down side seemed to be that ones existing sat box becomes useless which is just annoying. Solution 1 does not have saorview badge on it but that is beginning to mean less to me now as the saorview website starting point tutorials assume one does not have any from of sat imput already in use. I also asked around a lot of people mainly uni students and found that with RTE on a separate remotes that they had often not looked at RTE in many weeks

The pro's seemed to be many due to the fact of the online tutorials about this box, but mainly that the tv channels cal be collected into one list of channels and from there the combo box remote can take over as the main remote. For me this is the starting point that i wanted to reach first.

I realise the Harmony by Logitech is a wonderful remote and ideal for the normal more complex operations. But my ideal remote for changing channels on a tv would look something like this http://htvrc.com/master_english.htm . I realised my user requirements are not the same as those who use a harmony remote.

Last leg in the journey would be to reused the existing sat down cable using a combiner something like which comes in pairs for each end of the cable.
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/index.php?controller=product&path=21_25&product_id=314

Regards

Colm

Advertisement