Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord problem

Options
  • 21-05-2007 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend have rented a nice house in Walkinstown for over 2 and a half years. We were issued with a lease for the first 2 years and after numerious requests the landlord has failed to give us a lease for this year, he usually just says he'll drop it in the letter box but it never materialises.

We've heard nothing from him in a couple of months (not unusual) until I left a message on his voicemail saying that we were having a problem with the washing-machine. He never called us back about the washing machine, just as well I fixed it myself.

We got a text from him today saying that he will be around with a surveyor tomorrow and we should leave a key out for him !!! My first thought was "I will in my @rse :mad: "

I'm presuming he's thinking of selling up or doing something with the house. Does anyone know where we stand on this , talking into account he hasn't given us a written lease even though he agreed we could stay for another year (ending september) ??.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

I believe you now have a part 4 tenancy which gives you certain rights, including notice periods.

Your first thought is right. You are renting the house and you should leave him enter at your discretion only. Personally I would tell him he can agree a time that suits you to enter, and you must be present. No need to be argumentative but be forceful and professional - sounds like you will be receiving notice soon anyway, and if you let him behave this way now he will expect the same in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

He's probably only getting it valued for insurance purposes.

Advertisement