Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my landlord renting illegally???

Options
  • 21-05-2007 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have just finshed renting in a hell-hole. I dont know why i rented there in the first place but i think it was because i was so stuck at the time. The building is part of the back of a former pub and consists of 12 bedrooms connected by corridors. It would remind you of a hostel! But heres the punch line. The building had no windows AT ALL, and had one entrance/exit which was a fire-door (probably used for a warehouse back of the pub). The place was a complete fire-hazard, regardless of the fact it had smoke alarms, there was no way out but by the front door!

So all this lead me to believe that the landlord is not a registerd landlord and is simply ripping off tenants (who are prodominently foreign) and when anyone makes a fuss, he simply drops the law suit card, and frightened tenants pay up!

Now he is askin me for cash for damages....etc, which i do not want to pay!

So i ask you, does he have any case against me, even though his place is probably not registered?

I signed a lease, but the fact that there are no windows anywhere in the building, does that void the contract? or is it still a binding contract regardless of whether he is registered or not!

Finally, do you think that threatening the landlord with reporting him to the proper authorites, would scare him off!

If i scare him off, should i report him anyway??? This place is not safe to live in and i wouldnt be suprised if people died there in a fire, due to this guy!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

If your no longer living there, check and see if he is properly registered first. When he asks for the money just ask him for his PPS number. If he's not registered he'll quickly drop the claim for damages. Based on the description of the place it is definitely not safe to live in and i'd report him to PRTB anyway for a safety inspection no matter how the issue turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bazpaul wrote:
    I have just finshed renting in a hell-hole. I dont know why i rented there in the first place but i think it was because i was so stuck at the time. The building is part of the back of a former pub and consists of 12 bedrooms connected by corridors. It would remind you of a hostel! But heres the punch line. The building had no windows AT ALL, and had one entrance/exit which was a fire-door (probably used for a warehouse back of the pub). The place was a complete fire-hazard, regardless of the fact it had smoke alarms, there was no way out but by the front door!

So all this lead me to believe that the landlord is not a registerd landlord and is simply ripping off tenants (who are prodominently foreign) and when anyone makes a fuss, he simply drops the law suit card, and frightened tenants pay up!

Now he is askin me for cash for damages....etc, which i do not want to pay!

So i ask you, does he have any case against me, even though his place is probably not registered?

I signed a lease, but the fact that there are no windows anywhere in the building, does that void the contract? or is it still a binding contract regardless of whether he is registered or not!

Finally, do you think that threatening the landlord with reporting him to the proper authorites, would scare him off!

If i scare him off, should i report him anyway??? This place is not safe to live in and i wouldnt be suprised if people died there in a fire, due to this guy!!

How long did you live there? What's the "law suit" card?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

The landlord can only take legal action against you if he registered the tenancy with the PRTB. Did you ever sign the Registration form or give him your PPSN? If not, he cannot take you to the PRTB.

You should contact the Environmental Health Officer in the local Council offices. They inspect rented flats. Every bedroom has to have a window so it sounds that this building is in breach of the 1993 Housing Minimum Standards Regulations.

There may also be a planning angle. You might want to contact the Planning Enforcement section to get them to inspect the building to see if it has permission for the number of units. They often find that the landlord has intensified the use of a building beyond what they have permission for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

bazpaul wrote:

Ok so we are talking about 12 rooms no windows an one exit ....despite what your personnel problem is at least report it to someone who deals with such things the above being good examples or a fire officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Tell him to go stuff himself, that lease is incredibly unlikely to hold up in court and he won't take you there anyway. Report him as suggested to the Corporation, to the local fire officer and write a letter to the Revenue and PRTB (you don't have to sign it if you don't want to). Make sure to submit a rent relief form with his rental address, you don't need his PPS number.

I'd also go on to tell RTE and the newspapers that they have a story.

I'd do that because
    a) People like him shouldn't get away with it and
    b) If I read in the paper that 12 people died in a fire I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭babytooth

if the room you slept in had no window it is in contravention of every county council legislation. If there was a lease it is null and void, as you cann't profer a legal document that over rules the law of the land.

Don't mind the rubbish about "law-suit", he's been watching too much american tv.

You really should call the local fire officer and county council, take pictures, ring the newspapers and tell them about your landlord.

Anyone who puts people into places like that deserves to have the law thrown at them, being used as an example, cos if you don't it just allows this mentality to continue and landlords like this get away with murder, litterally if there was a fire.

And, ask yourself, if a child living there died becasue you never reported this issue, are you partly to blame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I believe that the minimum standards required by law do suggest that there should be appropriate light and ventillation in each room, this would suggest that there should be a window.
    Having said that, only a tiny number of properties get inspected each year, and they really only make recommendations. You are also supposed to have a source of hot running water and toilet and washing facilities.

If you think its bad, a friend of mine once rented a place in Copenhagen that had no toilet facilities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul

Thanks guys for your very informative responses.

As from your posts it appears i was right, he must be bluffing. If i ask for a PPS number and drop the PRTB thing on him, i'd say i wouldnt hear back from him.

And yes your right, if i read in the paper a year or two later that 12 people perished in that hole, i'd never forgive myself.

Sharpsuit i like your idea of the Environmental Health Officer, i would say they;d have a field day in that place. I mean you wake up in the mornin with crusty eyes because theres no adequate ventilation, its was quite sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I do hope you folow that up and get the guy shutdown
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id]=&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=0&s[search_type]=rental&s[refreshmap]=1&s[pt_id]=3&s[bedroom_number]=0&offset=16&limit=8&search_type=rental&id=464365

look at this they can't be serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I do hope you folow that up and get the guy shutdown
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s

look at this they can't be serious!

"Rent Allowance Not Accepted"

is the funniest bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if that can properly be described as an apartment - one wonders if it has its own toilet / shower - maybe thats what the brown cupoboard is. :rolleyes:

For a moment I thought "2 mins walk from Rathmines and Portabello." read "2 mins walk from Rathmines and Portaloo."

Of course, Portabello is a lot more than 2 minutes from Rathgar Road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'd just like to add that it can be a criminal offence not to register for the PRTB in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is in Dublin, you might contact the Environmental Health Officers in the Housing and Residential Services Department in Dublin City Council. Phone 01 222 3751.

ha ha ha ha ha!!!! lol

Guys check it out, the landlord with the 'no window' house is obviously looking for more potential victims for his death trap;

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id][0]=3651&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[room_type]=either&s[gender]=&s[move_in_date]=0&s[available_for]=5%2B&s[search_type]=sharing&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=8&id=369281

Cant believe it, he makes nearly €500 on every room! with 12 rooms thats a mint!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bazpaul wrote:
    ha ha ha ha ha!!!! lol

Guys check it out, the landlord with the 'no window' house is obviously looking for more potential victims for his death trap;

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id][0]=3651&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[room_type]=either&s[gender]=&s[move_in_date]=0&s[available_for]=5%2B&s[search_type]=sharing&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=8&id=369281

Cant believe it, he makes nearly €500 on every room! with 12 rooms thats a mint!

Perhaps you chose the incorrect property link- thats for room shares in a nice apartment 10 mins from Grafton Street...... No indication that the rooms on offer (3) are windowless- and it actually seems reasonable enough, with BB and all bills included.

Perhaps you might like to have another look.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I imagine windows would fall under the "All Mod Cons" title...

or maybe he is just being very open about this being a con.

Nope, the names of the girls are the girls that i lived with! and think about it dude, do you think they're gonna mention that the rooms are windowless! ha ha that'd be hilarious!

I love the way he included "lively house", ohhh its lively alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

Did you report the house to Dublin City Council? If so, what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Wow can't believe these landlords are getting away with that, when i saw the photo of that 'cosy' apartment I didnt notice the bed in there, was shocked then!! Defo report these people, its probably mainly foreign people accepting these appauling standards and god love them they mightnt want to kick up a fuss!

Advertisement