Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Liquid flowing from exhaust?

Options
  • 20-05-2007 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Don't own a car-I've a motorbike so my knowledge of cars is fairly limited.

I was following a car for about 3km yesterday.
    There was liquid(presuming water) dripping from the exhaust. What is this and what causes it?

Maybe it's perfectly normal-just interested to know
    Oh and it was a perfectly sunny day so it wasn't rain from the car

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Normal! Its condensation in the system which burns off after a few miles.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah, condesnsation, for sure. doesnt seem to happen on all cars though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll third the condensation - It happens on all cars, but is much more noticeable in slow moving traffic. If you start a car and let it idle for while you will notice a pool of water below the exaust. If you then rev the car a small spray of soot blackened water will shoot out. It used the be a good source of amusement on the workshop floor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Some exhausts (mine for example) have a small hole in the backbox to allow condensation to run out. It's high enough tho for the back box to retain about half a litre, which comes p1ssing out if I jack up the car on the other side.

Advertisement