Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion is Evil on Earth

Options
  • 20-05-2007 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/05/18/iraq.honorkilling/index.html

Reading and viewing the video (link in text of news report) on this story has so reminded me, and brought dramatically home to me, the total futility of extreme religious belief... I feel nothing but utter despise and hate for the men involved... i would rather kill myself than be like these people... i actually felt glad to read that 20 men of the same faith as this poor, poor girl were taken off a bus and shot. I'm wondering what other people feel (particularily people who have a strong religious faith) when they hear about this kind of thing. I personally cant understand it. Is it that they really think they have to do this sort of thing because they are ordered to by a 'god', or is it something else like, for example, that they are just bloodthirsty males looking for attention?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/05/18/iraq.honorkilling/index.html

Reading and viewing the video (link in text of news report) on this story has so reminded me, and brought dramatically home to me, the total futility of extreme religious belief... I feel nothing but utter despise and hate for the men involved... i would rather kill myself than be like these people... i actually felt glad to read that 20 men of the same faith as this poor, poor girl were taken off a bus and shot. I'm wondering what other people feel (particularily people who have a strong religious faith) when they hear about this kind of thing. I personally cant understand it. Is it that they really think they have to do this sort of thing because they are ordered to by a 'god', or is it something else like, for example, that they are just bloodthirsty males looking for attention?

Such killing happen across different cultures and religions (they have different names a lot of the time). Not sure why they happen, there disgusting regardless of who carries them out. A lot of people will find any reason to justify there base desires be it religion, honour, the greater good.

I have to say the act of killing of 20 men because they share the same religion as the perpetrators is abhorrent. Revenge is never the answer and I find it odd that you were "glad" at there murder. Both acts of barbarity should be condemned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Religion isn't evil, people are evil. Does religion make them evil? I dont think it does - the common message of nearly every religion, the root to Islam, Christianity, Buddhism and everything in between is the whole 'love your neighbour as yourself' thing. Anything outside of that is evil perpetrated or encouraged by by evil people who have distorted religion from what it really is. Thats what i think anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 31 getthegarglein

wes wrote:
    I have to say the act of killing of 20 men because they share the same religion as the perpetrators is abhorrent. Revenge is never the answer and I find it odd that you were "glad" at there murder. Both acts of barbarity should be condemned.

i totally agree with u on that one... part of my point, if i had one, was that i felt like compounding the stupidity and baseness of those actions by feeling blanket hatred twards everybody of the same faith as those scumbags... so, i was trying to get at the fact that religion not only is evil itself, but breeds evil...

andrew wrote:
    Religion isn't evil, people are evil.

good point. do u reckon in a world without religious excuses these guys would be dragging girls out into the street and kicking/stoning them to death anyway? i think so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

in a world without religious excuses people could just as easily make up other ones, ethnic/cultural/family etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

You can only really be shocked by something once, after that it becomes almost normal.

Cartoon_Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

good point. do u reckon in a world without religious excuses these guys would be dragging girls out into the street and kicking/stoning them to death anyway? i think so...

A lot of so called religious violence isn't even about religion. A lot of them are about money and other things. Religion is a useful tool to get a few useful idiots on board and give them a sense that there doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That is fcking sickening. Filthy, jealous, disgusting animals.

That is fcking sickening. Filthy, jealous, disgusting animals.

i agree with jimmy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

andrew wrote:
    in a world without religious excuses people could just as easily make up other ones, ethnic/cultural/family etc.
    This careless "well, they'd do it anyway" response is a common religious reply to religiously-motivated violence. And, yes, of course, people could make up other excuses, but they usually don't, because religion is the one area where people don't yet have the courage to tell others to shut up and keep their antisocial opinions to themselves.

Where else could you see somebody suggest that women should cycle a bike with a cabin on it and expect to be taken seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

robindch wrote:
    religion is the one area where people don't yet have the courage to tell others to shut up and keep their antisocial opinions to themselves.

And atheist communist dictatorships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

The problem for me, is that some of the religious books mention stoning or wars between them, thus making all that read those bits fear them.
    If the bible said, god exists, he loves us all and would like us to live peacefully with each other, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Please read your bibles or other good books, and try and understand why believers of another religion might fear the group that follows them. Fear often leads to hate.

karen3212 wrote:
    Please read your bibles or other good books, and try and understand why believers of another religion might fear the group that follows them. Fear often leads to hate.

people trying to get understanding from those damn books is at the heart of the problem (granted not everyone, but there's significant numbers of lunatics out there). what good will that do for dua khalil and the others who await a similar fate?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

andrew wrote:
    - the common message of nearly every religion, the root to Islam, Christianity, Buddhism and everything in between is the whole 'love your neighbour as yourself' thing.

That might be the common message but read back over the Old Testement and things like this stoning are a drop in the pond compared to the violence in that evil book.

And some may say that only certain messages should be taken from the OT but thats just cherry picking to suit oneself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

MoominPapa wrote:
    robindch wrote:
    religion is the one area where people don't yet have the courage to tell others to shut up and keep their antisocial opinions to themselves.
    And atheist communist dictatorships

I'll just make the usual note that state-enforced "atheism" is meaningless when discussing the behaviour of people who have chosen to be atheists - but hey, whatever straw you're clutching is your straw, and I wouldn't want to deprive you of its comfort.

You seem also to have missed robindch's point - which is that in normal societies, religious groups are the only groups that are allowed to prominently espouse opinions that are openly intolerant of specific social groups like homosexuals.

In other words, I can get away with saying that homosexuality is wrong and sinful if I'm expressing my religious viewpoint, but not if I'm expressing a personal opinion. Odd, eh?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

people trying to get understanding from those damn books is at the heart of the problem (granted not everyone, but there's significant numbers of lunatics out there). what good will that do for dua khalil and the others who await a similar fate?

I don't know who dua khalil is,

but essentially I was trying to say that people can't pretend the bible(the book i know most about) doesn't encourage stoning people or children for all sorts of little things.

How can they not see how fearful it might make a sane man to tell him that the bible is your holy book. It is a disgrace. the further away from that book christianity moves the better, assuming christians in this case can't let go of God.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

andrew wrote:
    Religion isn't evil, people are evil. Does religion make them evil? I dont think it does - the common message of nearly every religion, the root to Islam, Christianity, Buddhism and everything in between is the whole 'love your neighbour as yourself' thing. Anything outside of that is evil perpetrated or encouraged by by evil people who have distorted religion from what it really is. Thats what i think anyway

Well religion is a product of humans. How we use it is entirely up to us.
    If a god or gods exist or not is irrelevant, the religious doctrines invented to worship your particular god are man made.

Dismissing the human race as evil and letting our most useful weapon off the hook I think is a bit shortsighted. I'll think you find that many religions state say love your neighbour only if he is also a believer. Indeed Sam Harris makes that assertion about Jesus' teachings in the End of Faith.
    The Hadith is quite clear about what should be done to apostates.

What do you see as the true purpose of religion?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

andrew wrote:
    I completely agree in principle, but the fact is religion does make it too easy to "justify" certain behaviours. And society is to afraid to cross that boundary.

But you can't help but think if those men didn't find some excuse in their 'faith' to kick a defenceless girl to death, they'd find another way to satisfy their bloodlust.

I completely agree in principle, but the fact is religion does make it too easy to "justify" certain behaviours. And society is to afraid to cross that boundary.

But you can't help but think if those men didn't find some excuse in their 'faith' to kick a defenceless girl to death, they'd find another way to satisfy their bloodlust.[/QUOTE
    Isn't it the fear though, of being infected by a different religion.

I mean I can't easily be turned to become French for example, cause I was born in Ireland. It is something I can't change, and somone else being french can't really persuade me to change, cause no matter what anyone says I was by accident born in Ireland. Same with my language, culture difference, it is not really something I can be converted to, I may prefer another language or culture but the one I was born into is mine and by accident mine.

I think religion is different, as it is a choice at the end of the day, and the believers often from reading the books of other religions, think the others are out to infect them with a different religion/convert them.
    I find it difficult to explain myself sometimes, but essentially I think religion is different, one can convert to another religion, the other differences are truely throughout history not choices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

karen3212 wrote:
    Isn't it the fear though, of being infected by a different religion.
    The only one that looked afraid was the girl they were beating to death.
    Blaming religion takes too much responsibility from the actual perpetrators who are nothing short of murderers.

• Advertisement

The only one that looked afraid was the girl they were beating to death.
    Blaming religion takes too much responsibility from the actual perpetrators who are nothing short of murderers.

Yes I understand they are responsible for murder. But I still want to know why they really did it, I mean really, why?

karen3212 wrote:
    Yes I understand they are responsible for murder. But I still want to know why they really did it, I mean really, why?

Mainly because of ridiculous interpretations of rags written by un-civilised people thousands of years ago. I think they love killing people and use religion as an excuse, it's entertainment to them, much like public hangings used to be.

karen3212 wrote:

Well, you've never been a bloke, I take it? Men, particularly younger men, are violent. They commit most of all crimes, and virtually all the violent ones.

Violence in younger men, particularly in a sexually repressive society, is just looking for somewhere to hang its hat. Kicking an attractive young girl to death for pseudo-sexual misdemeanours (consorting with 'outsider men') is just a perfect lightning rod - no better reason necessary.

glumly,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    Well, you've never been a bloke, I take it? Men, particularly younger men, are violent. They commit most of all crimes, and virtually all the violent ones.

Violence in younger men, particularly in a sexually repressive society, is just looking for somewhere to hang its hat. Kicking an attractive young girl to death for pseudo-sexual misdemeanours (consorting with 'outsider men') is just a perfect lightning rod - no better reason necessary.

glumly,
    Scofflaw

Exactly, well said.

Scofflaw wrote:

glumly,
    Scofflaw

So is there a case for adding oestrogen to the water of young men. No, I am being a little bit ridiculous. edit Oh yeah, so you think a more sexually repressive society is worse, I need to think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Scofflaw wrote:

glumly,
    Scofflaw
    Agreed it is an adequate reason for the actions of the mob, but does not explain why policemen stood by and why there is almost no chance that anyone will be tried and punished for her murder.

For those explanation you need to look at the society where it happened and organised religion influences that to a huge degree.

Maybe you can't blame religion for a mob of men kicking a girl to death, but you can surely blame it first for the creating a society where police will stand by and let it happen, and secondly for not considering it a crime that needs investigating and the murderers brought to justice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think Scofflaw is right. Young men can get very hot headed very quickly. Just look at the streets of this country on a saturday night. A little bit of alcohol can turn your average 18 year old into an animal if provoked.

Justifying honour killings with religion or principles of family honour gives them an outlet to act like the animals their hormones are telling them to be. Could religion be the vodka and RedBull of the Middle East?

Remember tho this isn't a new thing. This is something that has been exploited by armies, political movements and various religions for centuries, we're just seeing and hearing a lot more of it now.

pH wrote:
    Agreed it is an adequate reason for the actions of the mob, but does not explain why policemen stood by and why there is almost no chance that anyone will be tried and punished for her murder.

For those explanation you need to look at the society where it happened and organised religion influences that to a huge degree.

Maybe you can't blame religion for a mob of men kicking a girl to death, but you can surely blame it first for the creating a society where police will stand by and let it happen, and secondly for not considering it a crime that needs investigating and the murderers brought to justice.

I'm still not quite certain that religion is the reason. Honour killings and other such excrescences flourish where the rule of law is weak - and that is usually where the state is poor.

With prosperity comes the increased rule of law, and bit by bit the police no longer stand idly by - but religion plays no part, except to be reinterpreted to suit the new status quo. Christianity has undergone much of this reinterpretation process, because it is found predominantly in wealthy, well-governed states - Islam has not (come to that, neither has Hinduism).

A reasonable test would be Northern Ireland - Christian, prosperous, but with strongly divided communities and chronic breakdowns in law over the past 40 years - so I would expect 'honour beatings' at least. When was the last time a Catholic girl got a beating for fraternising with Protestants, or vice versa, would you think?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

While the men who did this are obviously to blame for the murder itself, it's worth remembering that this was a pre-meditated murder, presumably organized by the local religious service providers who couldn't take that somebody stopped listening to them, and presumably put it about that she was coming back into town and needed dealing with. I believe that these craven primitives are at least as much to blame as the physical murderers themselves.

I disagree with The Atheist that blaming religion, in part, is a step too far, because none of this would have been possible without the legitimizing idiocy of organized religion which provided the means, the motive and the opportunity to carry out this barbaric act.

BTW, if nobody's read up on them, or forgotten them since they last came up, the social psychology experiments of Stanley Millgram (getting people to electrocute others), Gerard Zimbardo (the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment), Jane Elliott (blue eyes, brown eyes) and others are worth recalling. All of these experiments showed how easy it is to turn ordinary people into dangerous maniacs if the right social pressure is put on them. Authoritarian religion has had a very long time indeed to perfect its different ways of generating and applying this social pressure.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote:
    While the men who did this are obviously to blame for the murder itself, it's worth remembering that this was a pre-meditated murder, presumably organized by the local religious service providers who couldn't take that somebody stopped listening to them, and presumably put it about that she was coming back into town and needed dealing with. I believe that these craven primitives are at least as much to blame as the physical murderers themselves.

OK - any evidence for that?
    robindch wrote:
    I disagree with The Atheist that blaming religion, in part, is a step too far, because none of this would have been possible without the legitimizing idiocy of organized religion which provided the means, the motive and the opportunity to carry out this barbaric act.

Or race...
    robindch wrote:
    BTW, if nobody's read up on them, or forgotten them since they last came up, the social psychology experiments of Stanley Millgram (getting people to electrocute others), Gerard Zimbardo (the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment), Jane Elliott (blue eyes, brown eyes) and others are worth recalling. All of these experiments showed how easy it is to turn ordinary people into dangerous maniacs if the right social pressure is put on them. Authoritarian religion has had a very long time indeed to perfect its different ways of generating and applying this social pressure.

The missing part of that thesis is "what's in it for them"? I can understand people using religion as an excuse for violence, social control of breeding resources, and demarcation of in-group and out-group, but I don't see what organised religion gets out of it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement