Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch didn't depress

Options
  • 19-05-2007 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Sigh... another problem.

When I rang the mechanic, he said it sounded like the clutch cable had snapped, when he took the van in, he said it wasn't that he thinks it's probably that something to do with the pivot that the clutch pulls out to change gear has slipped or broken but he'll only know what the problem is after he takes the gearbox out.

He said taking out and putting the gear box back itself will take about 3 hours out and 3 hours in, and that's before he knows what's wrong, he charges €55 an hour so that's €330 before the problem is diagnosed, then parts and more work on that, he said I could be looking at about €500 to fix it altogehter:eek: :mad: :(

Before it happened, there was a light that appeared on the dash when I would depress the clutch, he said this was probably the pivot pushing against the engine or something, but he didn't even know what the light was (he saw it and didn't know what it mean:confused:) I never got a manual with my van so I haven't got a clue either.

It seems a bit daunting that I'll have to pay €330 before I even know what the problem is. Is €330 a fair price for removing and attaching the gear box?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, get rid of that van. It appears to have been nothing but trouble since you got it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I thought you just got a new clutch etc.

I agree. It's a snotter. Get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I asked him has it anything to do with the new clutch and could it again, be fault of the guy who fitted the clutch and he said probably not, that the pivot thing is just down to wear and tear he thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I could be way wrong but if its rwd , is 3 hours a bit long to drop out a gearbox ?

Yeah, sounded pretty long to me too:confused: Willing to pay to get the van up to scratch, just don't want to be ripped off!

• Advertisement

Suppose I'll just have to pay the €330 for removing and fitting the gear box so:(

Advertisement