Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Book Anyone?

Options
  • 18-05-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a mac book.
    I'm weighing up the pro and the cons but Im still having a tough time calling it

Pros
    - i life software (garage band in particular)
    - Mac OSX apparently it dos'nt crash as offten
    - compact design
    - i sight integrated webcam (get my youtube on)

Cons
    - Price, mac books start at €1050 direct from apple, for that money you can get a dell inspiron 640M with twice the memory and 1 and half times the HDD space
    - connectivity with my creative zen, I'v found third party piece of stoftware that says it can connect it.
    - Gaming unless I put windows on it I cant see my self using it for games ( Im talking the like's of GTR and GP 4)

Iv seen on the apple website that they are selling that peice of software that runs Windows in a Window on OSX for €70. Can you then install any copy of windows that you would on a PC?

So is the lake of performance worth it for better more stable software??
    Any anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

The only time I have windows crash on me is when I'm writing applications and I make it blow up by mistake. So lets rule that out.

What do you want to use the laptop for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

After using a Mac in my work for 2 or so years, i finally invested in a Mac Book this week. Just because the new MacBook's with Intel Core Duo 2 processors are almost as powerful as the MacBook pros.

The Mac isn't really for gaming anyways. It's a bit of a learning curve but i recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

The learning curve is basically a week if not less anyways. Far easier than a pc. And you must have a lucky copy of windows if it doesn't crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

College (pdf's, word processing, possibly some excell sheets [I see open office is available of macs also which beats shelling €600])
    Music (my mp3 library)
    Editing vidoes, possibly starting a video blog
    maybe some photos aswell down the line, i dont own a camera at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Whats the point of buying a Mac if your going to put Windows on it?

I was on the Apple site recently, 2 of their 7 "reasons to buy a Mac" were because you can also run Microsoft on it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

People like the choices.. especially with stuff like Parallels Desktop which will allow you to boot directly into Windows XP / 2000 without the need to re-boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the only answer is, unless you've a specific reason why you can't use a mac then why not? You won't know if you like it unless you try it. Bang for buck not so great but bling for buck is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Short answer:

Get the Mac, its faster.

Running Windows? - Use VMWARE to run Windows/Linux/Solaris/ Anything you want!

"Once you go mac, you dont go back!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭feileacan

mac v pc - the old argument rears its ugly head again

i have used pc's since virtually day one and was always (reasonably) happy with them. my current one is a sony vaio laptop, about 18 months old.

last year i decided to get a mac. im into photography and really wanted one laptop to have just for my photography and macs have always been very regarded for multimedia.

for a start, even opening the box it came in was just so bloody stylish in comparison to a pc. the computer (a 17" mac book pro) is just freakin amazing - its a thing of beauty (geek !).

i only really use it for aperture and photoshop, it runs smoothly, never has any problems or required a reboot, is fast, lots of good software out there that isnt riddled with spyware etc.

number of times i have used my vaio (since last october when i got the mac) about twice, and one oif them was to check to see if the broadband had gone down.

watch the mac ads at apple http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/

there spot on in comparing pc v mac

and no i dont sleep with my mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

iRock wrote:
    Short answer:

Get the Mac, its faster.

Running Windows? - Use VMWARE to run Windows/Linux/Solaris/ Anything you want!

"Once you go mac, you dont go back!"

i must be the only person who when ever gets behind a Mac.. it crashes...

ever since 2001 no matter what where who's.. the damned things crash..

only ever had windows crash twice(2002)... but that was a spectacular crash.. not just BSOD but fried monitor as well :eek: :eek:

but even then that was running windows NT (say no more)..never had a problem since:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

^^^^

What has that got to do with this thread?

Advertisement