Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on first car (purchase)

Options
  • 17-05-2007 9:49pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭

looking for some advice. Im a biker all my life but i passed my car test the other day and a perk to my job is a monthly car allowance! :)

im looking for advice on what car to get as a first time purchaser. Ive driven other people's cars all my life so therefore ive no years no claims under my belt (Altho i was a named driver on a provisional for years with a clean sheet but cant remember who insured me)

im lookin at buyin somethin between 1 to 1.2l engine. not sure whether to go brand new or second hand but nothin older than 03. Will arrange it via finance so im not concerned with the price so much (within reason, not gettin a 20k jammer!)

im 29 (30 later this year) with a full license and no previous insurance built up (unless i can route out the details of when i was a named driver)

any advice what i shud be lookin at? i want to keep insurance costs low etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,206 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since it is your first car I would recommend you start off with something that is a few years old rather than a new car. If you have a few bumps or scrapes then it will not be too bad on a used car. In a year or two then you can treat yourself to a new car if you want.

Regarding which car I would have a look at www.carzone.ie as there are lots to choose from there. Something between 1.0 and 1.2 litre then I would recommend something the Ford Fiesta 1.25, Toyota Yaris 1.0, Skoda Fabia 1.2, Peugeot 206 1.1, Seat Ibiza 1.2, Nissan Micra 1.2, etc. All are pretty decent in spec these days and running costs are pretty low too.

Best thing to do is take a test drive in all of these and then decide which one you prefer.

Advertisement