Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf dashboard

Options
  • 17-05-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

Hello

I've a 2007 VW golf and whilst cleaning it with a hoover the other day I managed to scratch the plastic transparent part of the dashboard. When I'm driving and looking at the speedometer etc it's very noticeable.

I know I'm an idiot but would like to see if i can replace this, as it's really only a piece of perspex. However I rang around some VW garages and am told the dash comes as one unit so I'd have to replace the whole thing for €600!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The dealer is correct - the perspex panel is part of the dash. I wouldn't tamper with it too much either as your car is still under warranty. My advice would be to live with the scratch it you can - otherwise you'll have to fork out for a new instrument cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

you could try some scratch remover on it, or even some car polish, assuming its not a deep scratch. Meguairs do a scratch remover specifically for plastic, its called "PlastX" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I can confirm too re the dash as we have a 06 GTI and it had "some dash issues" - emission light coming on and then a line of pixels went in the display - and indeed it is all one unit. It is also linked to the immobilser too so you do run a risk if doing any DIY on the dash.

They replaced the whole thing under warranty for us in a few hours but they had to order the replacement based on the VIN so each dash is linked to each car etc.

Maybe do as Joe says and consider trying to get it polished back up - PlastX comes to mind too as I use it on outside plastic such as lights etc.

Hope you get sorted

Regards
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Great thanks for the replies!

Advertisement