Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e/w motor gone - cost?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hope this is appropriate for the forum. My Da just told me he was charged €500 because his electric window would not go up! 99 Toyota Corolla. So I'm guessing the window motor went bust and they replaced that. This happend to me before on a 00 Toledo and I'm pretty sure it was less than €100 to get it sorted.

Whats the going rate for a e/w motor? Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,238 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depends. Some can be repaired and for some the whole lifting mechanism including electromotor would be replaced. In the latter case €500 wouldn't be too far off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

unkel wrote:
    Depends. Some can be repaired and for some the whole lifting mechanism including electromotor would be replaced. In the latter case €500 wouldn't be too far off

A new electric motor and lifting mechanism for my car cost 200 and that was a bmw part. 500 sounds very excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When the motor went on my Hyundai Coupe's passenger window it was covered under warranty but they told me it would have cost me about €200 all in ,out of warranty. Only the motor itself was knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,238 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A new electric motor and lifting mechanism for my car cost 200 and that was a bmw part

I've been there myself. The only serious thing that ever broke during 6 years of driving big old BMWs :)
    And the motor was fine, as was the lifting mechanism. The steel cable snapped - wear and tear after opening the window about 1,000,000 times

The part was €300 + VAT for me. Perhaps the toyota part is very expensive too?

My point was mainly that if the whole thing is going to be replaced, it's gonna cost a lot more than €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Go to a scrap yard and buy a second hand one for 60 - 100 euro, then put it in yourself. It's an easy job u don't have to worry about whether u will put the window in the right position as when you bolt the glass on to the mechanism it will dictate where the glass will go and it's always right(ie when trhe motor is up u wont be left withe the glass 2 inches down for example).
    When you take of the door trim if the window is in the fully up position it can be hard to take out the mechanism as the bolts that hold the glass can be an inch or so up under the door frame, an open ended spanner will open them with a bit of fiddling. The electrical connectors are pop in pop out style so very easy.
    Caution! when putting back bolts just make sure there are no wires behind the brace( it goes across the door and holds the window mechanism in place) that can be cut by the bolts as the system will blow the motor and a 30 amp fuse for the windows.
    P.s when u are fitting it cover it and the cable in grease it will stop the cable breaking.

****!! i just saw that he has already got the window fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pauliepisshead

I've had this problem twice, once with a 3 series, and once a mr2. Both times got the window regs from Traynors up north for next to nothing. They deliver twice a week to dublin. If you know anyone they can throw it in for.

Advertisement