Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree trunk to bench

Options
  • 17-05-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have a tree trunk in my garden (about 1m in length) that I'd like to carve into a rough bench... nothing intricate, just want to flatten out the top and shape it a bit like this:
    http://static.mediamatic.nl/f/nptq/image/280-299-423.jpg
    Never done woodwork before so if anyone could give me a few tips on tools etc. that would be great.
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I've seen this type of work in magazines before; the rough carving/ shaping is usually done with small chainsaw and final work done with an arbortech- not really DIY territory as such. I'm sure the work could be done with axes and adzes but that's a bit scary for me! Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

i made a 3 seater sofa for someone a while back taken from a huge pine tree is his front garden - something similar in shape to yours with the arms etc - i did it with a large chainsaw cutting the section out and breaking it with wedges - but it is a very dangerous cut to do with a chainsaw and is definatley not to be recommended. if you choose to do it this way get a local tree surgeon to do it for you - but he may not even fancy it.
    a msall chainsaw will do the job if you remove small sections - with the help of wedges and chisels you will get there with a bit of patience - if you have no chainsaw - chisels are the way to go unless you have an arbortech or similar

Advertisement