Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will win this world cup

Options
  • 17-05-2007 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Here are some of my tips about the world cup which is going to be held in France
    1st
    NZ - or maybe "not NZ" they are always favorites but always choke

2nd
    France - don't know if they'll meet NZ earlier but at home they deserve 2nd favoritism.

Semis
    Australia and Sth Africa - mostly because I think they'll finish on top of their groups and should have an easier QTR - but Ireland is as good as either.

QTRS
    Ireland - see above
    England - No real competition in there group after Sth Africa, but deserve top 8 regardless
    Wales - See England, not as sure they deserve it though.
    Italy - seem to have the form over Scotland - unfortunate that the groups turn out this way, but good for rugby I guess.

Unlucky
    Argies - I'd put them 7th ahead of Wales, Italy and Scotland ATM - but in a group with France and Ireland - no chance.
    Samoa - If they got the group with Italy and Scotland we could see an island nation in the qtrs, Fiji v Wales is a slight chance of an upset as well I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I think if South Africa can sort out the management problems with he team they can really challange New Zealand. This season in the Super 14 the Sharks and the Bulls have both been excellent and if that form and momentum carries over to the WC then that the will be there or there abouts come the final. Also dont judge the SA team on the november performances over here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sundy wrote:
    I think if South Africa can sort out the management problems with he team they can really challange New Zealand. This season in the Super 14 the Sharks and the Bulls have both been excellent and if that form and momentum carries over to the WC then that the will be there or there abouts come the final. Also dont judge the SA team on the november performances over here.

If they can get it right I think South Africa are probably the only side in the RWC who could beat potentially New Zealand without needing them to have an off day or choke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

andrewking wrote:
    Here are some of my tips about the world cup which is going to be held in France
    1st
    NZ - or maybe "not NZ" they are always favorites but always choke

2nd
    France - don't know if they'll meet NZ earlier but at home they deserve 2nd favoritism.

Semis
    Australia and Sth Africa - mostly because I think they'll finish on top of their groups and should have an easier QTR - but Ireland is as good as either.

QTRS
    Ireland - see above
    England - No real competition in there group after Sth Africa, but deserve top 8 regardless
    Wales - See England, not as sure they deserve it though.
    Italy - seem to have the form over Scotland - unfortunate that the groups turn out this way, but good for rugby I guess.

Unlucky
    Argies - I'd put them 7th ahead of Wales, Italy and Scotland ATM - but in a group with France and Ireland - no chance.
    Samoa - If they got the group with Italy and Scotland we could see an island nation in the qtrs, Fiji v Wales is a slight chance of an upset as well I guess.

As I read the draw- if NZ and France go unbeaten in pool and in quarters likely to meet in Semis. Ausssie can't be ignored thay seem to have the easier side of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

France all the way! (Wishful thinking here I know...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

NZ would be my choice to win the competition. If they have everyone fit for the tournament, they have the best set of 15 players in the world IMO.

France will be the pick of the Northern hemisphere teams. England are going no-where, while it remains to be seen how much of an detremental effect the loss of the 6 Nations title was on Ireland.

I'd say we wil make the quaters (if we didn't, I think it could be classed as a mini-disaster) and if things went right for us we may reach the semi's. But that is as far as I would see us going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

NZ always have a monkey on their backs as overwhelmingly favourites. They are big game bottlers!!
    France will have home advantage but also HUGE pressure from their fans. Ireland owes them big time after Croke Park (without BOD).
    France are so sure of themselves I found it impossible to buy tickets for the QF with the Pool D winners as they are being held back in the expectancy that France will go thru as Nr 1 in the group.
    Ireland's "final" is against France. if we beat them we avoid the AB's and are well on our way to the SF at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

redmca wrote:
    Ireland's "final" is against France. if we beat them we avoid the AB's and are well on our way to the SF at least

We have to beat the Argies first. I mean they had amateurs playing for them and we couldn't beat them. I reckon the all blacks will do it because who's going to beat them? I thought maybe South Africa but the english did all right for half of the second test while suffering from the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

reason is two finalists of super 14 both from SA!
    Looked very impressive!
    that might not account for anything but worth a tenner at 6/1
    and double them for tri nations also!
    remember you heard it here first!!!
    johnny boy4711
    C'Mon Connacht!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

It’s good to so many people talking about the World Cup I work with a load of soccer heads and you know what they can be like about a real mans game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I think Ireland could go the way of 2003, a should have victory over the hosts and be knocked out in the qf but this is a far superior team to '03 in terms of players and experience. The worrying thing for nz is that despite the fact they are the best at the moment no team has really put it up to them. The one defeat in the past couple of years came against sa but that was in their backyard.nz most telling victories i.e. lions ect were at home in front of their expectant home fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Forgetting their steamrolling of the home nations during the November test series in '04?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Was that not '05? Thats kind of what i meant actually tho, nobody has had a really good go at beating them. Those Home Nations tests were a bit of a joke really, England were and still are muck and in all fairness it would only be them who nz would consider real opposition on any usual Home Nations trip. What I'd be more worried from everyone else perspective is the mauling handed down to France in Nov, however the world cup factor i feel will bring more out of nations such as France and Oz such as '99 and '03.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Would be interesting actually - if the Ireland tests against NZ had come off ever so slightly differently and Ireland had come out on top for even one game, I think bout Ireland and NZ would be the better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

Really fancy us against the french, well probably do something weird like thrash the french , then lose to argentina and finish second and nz will knock us out altough well play great, but it wont be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Melski

NZ probably. Certainly won't be us (Australia). We're so crap at the moment that tonight (Aust time) we play Sth Africa in Cape town and the boks are resting most of their good players. Major dramas in Australian rugby.
    The Australian press is reporting NZ as the leader, but Ireland are in with a real chance.

But surely NZ and Sth Africa are the ones to beat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

English squad announced.

"The initial 47-man training squad includes Mike Catt (who would be 36 at the tournament), Mark Regan, 35, Julian White, Kevin Yates, Martin Corry, all 34, Jason Robinson, Andy Gomarsall, 33, Andy Farrell, 32, Ben Kay, Phil Vickery, 31, Josh Lewsey and Joe Worsley, 30. Not only that. Some of those blokes have had more operations than Zsa Zsa Gabor." (see www.herald.co.nz).

I wouldn't be putting much on this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Typical NZ spin ;)

Advertisement